• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Largest walleye this season?

Chris Haley

Well, my biggest walleye from MN. this year was about 27"s from Red Lake. A few fish in the 24-25" range. I did catch some bigger ones a couple years back. On the last day of a 13 day trip, I managed to catch a 33 1/2", 12 1/2 lb. walleye. I also caught a 11 and 12 lb. walleye. My goal was to bring home a couple of mounters. With freezer space limited, I passed on several nice 10# plus fish, thinking I'll wait till the end of the trip. 5 days left in our trip and a MAJOR cold front pushes through shutting down the bite to zero. After 2 days of no fish, the weather breaks and the water warmed up a couple degrees. The fish started to bite, not only did they bite, they went CRAZY! On our final day we trolled crawler harnesses on boards. The bite was hot. We managed about 60+ fish in the 3-8 lb. range, fishing 23-28'. By mid afternoon I told my friend that as hard as it is to leave an active school of fish, the age class of fish we needed wasn't there. We need to go deep. I started to troll the edge of a large reef, startiing in 35' and working out to 48'. At 42' we hit a large pod of BIG walleye. The first fish to hit was the 33 1/2 incher. The board went down, and it felt like it had hooked bottom. I held the rod high with a good steady pressure. After several seconds had passed I felt the distinct thumping of head shakes, and could tell it was bigger than the other ones. With the boat cut down to less than 1 mph, the fish felt like reeling in a big rock! After about a 10 minute battle, the fish was netted. I finally caught my mounter fish. smile.gif I also managed to stop my friend from whineing about leaveing the school of active smaller fish! After lucking out on the last day, I was able to keep that one, as well as the 11 and 12 lb walleye. My friend also kept a 11 and a 10 lb. walleye for his wall. I had some decent days of fishing, but that has to be my best yet. Some days a guy gets a little lucky. grin.giffa5464e6.jpgfa5464e2.jpg

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 12-11-2003).]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest this year threw the ice is about 7.5#. Biggest ever was a 32" out of the St.Louis River. Plenty of 30" fish in various locations. Still looking for that 33 plus" eye to go on my wall. I only want 1 fish on my wall and it has to be a PIG!

Hats off to Canitbeluck....wow my friend, those are BIG walleyes. How heavy of a rod were you using?

I caught a 24 inch fatso walleye in May on a 6'6 ultralight. what a ride! I cant believe people say Walleyes dont fight hard. That big one I caught hit a jig falling to the bottom like a madman! da mn near took the rod out of my hands

I got a 7lb at 12:05 on opener the on saturday at about 3 in the morrning i got a 7 3/4lb same spot on the shoe under a brige and a 30in out of red lake in jan.But have only got one 20in since.Did my luck run out rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by StPaulParkFisherman (edited 12-19-2003).]

Guido, most of my rods I use run 6'10"-8', Med-med/hvy casting/trolling type. Level wind baitcasters with linecounters spooled with 12-14, and sometimes 17# line. I use heavy line beacause of stress due to pulling boards....And fish too! grin.gif I like to catch big fish. usually researching and traveling to find them. My thinking is this, I would rather spend a few more hours driving and catching trophy fish than spend little travel and effort to catch fewer smaller fish. Yes, these fish are "trophys", but considering the lakes they come from....They're run of the mill. Over the years, the great lakes have provided me with many fish in the 10# range. Oddly enough, besides the 33 1/2"er, my most prized fish is a 29 1/2"er caught on a jig and crawler from Farm lake on the White Iron chain in Ely. If you want fish like that I can tell you where to go and how to fish, it's pretty easy if done right. Well I shouldn't say easy, I did a 6 day trip 2 years ago and out of an estimated 250 others in the campsite, I only seen 2 walleye at the fish house on those days. Cold water, fast trolling speeds, and crankbaits were the reasons for them not catching fish. I tryed to "clue" them in on needed adjustments, but what do I know? I'm from WI., how can I tell the local Ohio boys how to fish on "thier" waters? Me, I'm totally different. If I see someone catching fish and they choose to share info. with me, I'm all ears! I've been kicking around the thought of a June trip to Ohio with anyone interested in FM. Boats and equipment is all we'd need, I can take 2 people. A very nice state campground with showers is where I stay,it's very nice and cheap too. $22 a night split between the guys. Gas, food, camping, $24 license, nightcrawlers, and equipment is all that is needed. Boats need to have 4-6 rod mounts and be able to troll down to 1 mph. A drift sock is also needed. I know the area, so we'd have a guide. I just dont know if anyone would be interested in catching BIG walleyes like that! grin.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 04-23-2004).]

CanitbeLuck- Ely. cool, know the area well...spent many days on Vermilion. Biggest to date is 26.5 incher on a live bait rig.

There has been a longlining/ crankbait/ planer board trend on the lake for a good couple of years. They catch big walleyes from the basin using these methods. Alot of the good catches for the tournaments on the lake use those methods too.

I'm still a jig/slip bobber/ live bait rig guy though.

But the results speak for themselves!

ps. I had the opportunity to do some grunt work last summer at Perry Good's house. He is an awesome guy, who is one helluva fisherman. The tactics you guys use on the great lakes are ones that he's used to win some BIG tourneys, I of course bowed down to him,and I told him yeah I fish Vermilion alot, he's like yeah there's alot of small ones!('eyes) lol

From your photos I see what me means. lol

My six year old son bested me this year. He put a 28 and a 26 and a half in the boat on Mille Lacs this summer. I put three 27's in two night trips on the big pond this fall, but I could not surpass his efforts. I should have had a 30 on Mille Lacs but I handed my rod to my nephew (since he had not caught a fish on our outing and I had caught 5). He ended up getting credit for that one.

Well my personal best came on Sunday up @ LOW out from Morris Point. An extremely fat 28" that was suspended up about 12 feet from the bottom. Reeled up the glow A.E. jr. did a quick little jig and she hit it hard and then started swimming. After a good 10 min. fight and 5 tangled lines from the other 2 guys it came up the hole once we could get her head turned upward. What a blast. Been back to work for one day now and I'm already itching to get back up there. January 24th won't come soon enough for our next trip. Well for now the metro fishing will have to do.
Good Luck All!

Earlier this summer after we had a bunch of rain, fishing by an outlet that was flowing in, hooked into at least a ten-pounder, but she got wrapped up in the anchor line and I don't want to talk about what happens next. All I can say is if you catch a 10 lb walleye on Big Swan, and it has a green and white shad-rap hooked in it's mouth, I really want that lure back. At least I got to see it, I guess.

As that I didn't get in on the Fall Troll on ML I was not able to best my personal best of 28" but all and all had a lot of success on eye's for as little as I fished for them. Mostly from shore at ML before Bass openned. I got several eaters and low to mid 20's. Had a very good year on the Big Bass though.

I caught a sweet 27.5 incher on Mille Lacs this year. It was a pig! Slip Bobber and a leech at my own little secret spot. I caught a lot of fish on this particular spot and never once did I see another boat there...ever.

I pulled a 29" out 2 weeks ago, and with a 18.5" girth, the estimate was 11.6 lbs. Beauty of a fish, and since I've let all of my other ones go - this one is going on the wall.

If any one can help me with the posting pics, I'll include a copy.

[This message has been edited by goldenwalleye (edited 01-15-2004).]

Sure Thing.

We pulled up 2 eaters (16",17") around 4:45 on a tip up, and nothing in the house. We made an imediate no-brain decision and moved the house into the shallower water. We were at 33' and moved to 29'. It didn't take long and downt he bobber goes, after a quick hook set I knew I had something large on. Just like that - it was gone. The bottom was still flashing red with life on the FL-8, so I checked my minnow and dropped him back down the hole. It wasn't 10 seconds and down it went again. This time I gave him a little more time, and away the drag went. I only had 4lb test on, as that was my crappie rod.

It took me quite awhile to get him off the bottom as he kept taking line. We only had about 10 inches of ice, and with the recent thaw, you could see perfect. Once I got him to the top, I know he was big. Hoping I wouldn't have a problem with the size of hole. After I got him turned into the hole, but brother was able to get a glove on him and hoist him out. It is such an awesome feeling, when something that large comes out of the hole.

I only keep walleyes less than 3 or so lbs, but this one is going on the wall. It might be quite some time before I pull one in like that again.

Just last night someone else pulled a 32" 20.5" girth from the same area. Sorry, but I can't reveal the lake.

Northlander, possibly a June trip to Erie? I was gonna contact rmh20, a fellow FMer either tonight or tommorrow in regards to a trip there. He's tenativly looking at going with his own boat and probably some friends or family. I'm guessing on that but will know more after I call him. Maybe plan so that we can all go at the same time. But yes, that'll be a very good possibility on you comeing along if you'd like. I usually go for at least 1 week, that allows for any days that the weather may have an influence on the fishing. Is your schedule somewhat flexible? Early June is a good time as the water is starting to warm putting the fish in a feeding mood. Once the mayflys hatch in late June into July the fishing shuts down for a while. They're so thick that you could use a plow to get them off the streets! From where I live in Wausau Wi., the trip takes about 9 hours of drive time. As I said, it's a cheap trip. Do you have room on the wall for a walleye...Or two? grin.gif Another nice thing about Erie, no possession limit only a 6 fish daily bag limit. I bring 2 chest freezers and a small refrigerator. smile.gif

------------------

Here's a few pics of the campground area. It doesn't show much, but you can get a general idea. I took a friend 2 years ago and he placed some pics in his HSOforum. Hopefully this wont get deleted. Check out the odds and ends section. www.chumpchangewires.com f9b9c666.jpgf9b9c66c.jpgf9b9c673.jpg

------------------

Hey CIBL, coupla ??? for you. 4 years ago I made my first few trips out to Erie and Saginaw. Both amazing fisheries for sure. My brother turned me onto those Hot n Tots and rattle tots, and we plain hammered the fish on them behind boards on both watersheds. I was convinced and bought an assortment {50} of colors which I favor on LOTW, 1/4 oz tots, and 3/8 oz rattle tots. Any clues why they work so great out that way and I can't catch a darn thing pulling them up here??? I have a pile of these darn things in my crankbait bag which I may have to sell on hsolist as they only take up room. Shad Raps, Tsticks, RR's, Deep lil's, Deep HJ's all get fish for me trolling the basin, but those darned tots just don't seem to trip they're trigger up this way.

Also, can you describe a bait/rig I've heard mentioned out Erie way.....it's called "the weapon", just what is this weapon?

Regards....fiskyknut

Fisky, The Hot-n-Tots are my lures of choice when fishing cranks on Erie. I'm guessing that the lure resembles a shad which is a common forage food there. However, Shad Raps and deep diver Husky Jerks catch them too. The fish seem to like "wobble" type cranks for some reason. I've heard people refer to "the weapon" also, but haven't a clue as to what it is. I hear talk of people casting them. I'm thinking it's a "local" term for a weight forward or weighted spinner crawler type bait. I checked into a Erie HSOforum which claims to have "the original" weapon lure. However it didn't show what they looked like. I'd take some of those Hot-n-Tots off your hands...But my tackle box is full of them! grin.gif Sorry for the lack of answers. I'm pretty much a crawler spinner fisherman. I stick with what always works best for me!

------------------