• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dual Sport ride

leech~~

I will be taking a short DS ride out of Cross Lake on the Old Grade # 54 up to around Long ville to the Anchorage Bar for lunch and then riding co ro # 55 back down to Cross Lake on Sat or Sun this weekend if there are any Dual Sport riders that will be up that way let me know. smile

As much as I'd like to get a dual sport bike, it's just going to have to wait. I'm seeing more and more every time I go out.

Adventure (dual sport) biking where guys pack up there bikes with camping gear and head to the back roads is becoming one of the new sports! It's a great time to get a bunch of guys together riding and camping1 wink

Saturday was perfect for riding. A little rain the night before kept the dust down and added to the fun! Bug's weren't bad at all and the rain cooled it down enough to wear some gear. My buddy and I put on about 80+ miles between CrossLake and Remer. Seen tons of Deer and some Wolf tracks here and there. Marked a few new Bow hunting spots on the GPS for next fall.

Great way to do some scouting with the DS bikes! winkfull-27051-10063-picture193.jpg

full-27051-10064-picture192.jpg

Sounds like fun. What kind of bikes do you guys have?

One is an XT225 Yam, and the other was a DRZ 400 Suz. Both ran well for the riding we were doing. Hit some good mud in a few spots but nothing we couldn't make it through. We had the whole woods to ourselves other then meeting a few wheelers here and there. Seemed kind of odd for a Holiday weekend to not see many people out there? We hit the woods at about 6:30am before it got to hot though. It sure is better lifting bikes over downed logs then wheelers which I have done both! wink

One is an XT225 Yam, and the other was a DRZ 400 Suz. Both ran well for the riding we were doing. Hit some good mud in a few spots but nothing we couldn't make it through. We had the whole woods to ourselves other then meeting a few wheelers here and there. Seemed kind of odd for a Holiday weekend to not see many people out there? We hit the woods at about 6:30am before it got to hot though. It sure is better lifting bikes over downed logs then wheelers which I have done both! wink

You are supposed to ride over the logs! That is half the fun of riding off road bikes.

Does the 225 get wrung out a little for extended highway riding?

Um, not these logs they were hugh! frown Yes the DS bikes are street legal and my XT225 has 6 speeds so I can hit 75mph and cruise at 60mph all day. I have a remove able windsheld that helps a lot when riding down the highway and removes so I don't do a face plant into it when on the trails! grin LEP7MM the KLR 650 is a great bike and I have looked at about 4-5 used ones but just have not pulled the trigger on one. They have good highway speed and power but are not as nimmble as the lighter XT when in the woods.

Quote:
LEP7MM the KLR 650 is a great bike and I have looked at about 4-5 used ones but just have not pulled the trigger on one. They have good highway speed and power but are not as nimmble as the lighter XT when in the woods.

I've heard the seat height is pretty tall on those, too.

I've heard the seat height is pretty tall on those, too.

The KLR is a bit high but not as high as the Honda XR650 or the Suz DRZ bikes. They do sell "Lowering links" which drops some of these bikes an inch or so. Other things that can be done to lower some of them is lower the front forks a bit in the yokes, lower profile seats or lower tire sizes. Or just find a nice Yam XT bike which sits lower for height challenged people like me! grin

The KLR is probably 80% street bike and 20% off road. Great bikes for cruising, but not that great off road IMO.

The KLR as I stated a few posts above is one of what they are now calling Adventure bikes. More road then dirt which a lot of people are using to load up with gear and get back in to more place like Alaska and other rough road scenic vacation spots. It's a pretty big deal in other countries all over the world. Some of the other Big Adventure bikes are made from BMW, KTM and others. Big bikes that can handle pretty rough roads and heavy loads, but heavy and not the best for the woods. wink

You have to decide what you need more, on or off road capabilities. There is no free lunch with any of these.

What they need to make is a street legal spinoff of a 450 motocross bike.

Wider ratio tranny, little bigger flywheel, and anything it takes to make it barely street legal.

You have to decide what you need more, on or off road capabilities. There is no free lunch with any of these.

What they need to make is a street legal spinoff of a 450 motocross bike.

Wider ratio tranny, little bigger flywheel, and anything it takes to make it barely street legal.

People are doing conversions on these with kits they sell on line. I just can't believe that the DOT gives them a plate for them? confused But, more power to them. wink

Yamaha did have the WR that had everything you mentioned...just not sure if it was street legal.

Nope it wasn't. Anyone know what is needed besides headlight, taillight, horn, and DOT approved tires to be street legal?

mirrors.

A buddy of mine has a YFZ 400 that is licensed for the street. Problem is, there's no mirror, no horn and no DOT approved tires. Not sure how the person he bought it from pulled this off but he has the plate and lights.

mirrors.

A buddy of mine has a YFZ 400 that is licensed for the street. Problem is, there's no mirror, no horn and no DOT approved tires. Not sure how the person he bought it from pulled this off but he has the plate and lights.

Maybe he took everything off after he got the plate?

I wouldn't have good luck with getting something like that licensed. I get hassled every time I go into a license bureau!

He said it was the same as when he bought it but you never know. This is a guy who has more lives than a cat and used them all. After the things he's done, he should be dead.

mirrors.

Not sure if turn signals are a must but I wouldn't be out there without as much Blinking things I can get on a bike. crazy

Not sure if turn signals are a must but I wouldn't be out there without as much Blinking things I can get on a bike. crazy

Not sure either because I see some custom bikes that don't have them. You see the guys using hand signals. I would search, but I'm sure that HSOforum is shutdown along with the rest of the government.