• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

flooding in Minot, live stream video of the water treatment plant

Why doesn't the Corp of Engineers let water out of these rivers before the damage is done. We hear about this in all major rivers, Mississippi, Minnesota, Missouri, Red, and others. In times as hard as now they can flood people out and not do anything about it. I don't believe it. It's more important for them to keep big money happy.

Why doesn't the Corp of Engineers let water out of these rivers before the damage is done. We hear about this in all major rivers, Mississippi, Minnesota, Missouri, Red, and others. In times as hard as now they can flood people out and not do anything about it. I don't believe it. It's more important for them to keep big money happy.

Canada just got a pile of rain and that flows into the Souris river. Corps of Engineers has no control of that or most of the other rivers you mentioned.

Looks like the Most of Southern Manitoba and SK and are pretty wet right now too. Thinking I might be better off going straight through on 94 and cutting up to one of the Montana crossings- anyone ever cross up there on 16 or is there a better way to get up towards Edmonton?

The river level at Bismarck will probably remain close to where it is at through August. (I don't think its hit the first crest yet) This is not a Red River flood where the snow melt makes its way through the system and then its over because the release volume from the Garrison Dam is to be held mostly constant at their present values for the next two months. There is even some concern about the freezing of any flooded basements because of the potential length of this flood event.

The Souris does not flow into the Missouri River Basin and flows back into canada.

Yeah, I was kind of comparing it to the floods around here. So its a controled flooding in a way, I think? Does the core of engineers oversee that process?

Also Limit what do you mean about freezing of flooded basements?

Yeah, the COE is the lead dog on that and they're trying to pull off a balancing act of all the reservoirs in the Missouri River system. Pretty much a controlled flood as you called it, but they are at points they've never been before with the amount of water flowing through the system, so this is really uncharted territory.

The flood is going to be so long in duration that there is some discussion about this going into winter before the water has fully receded or pumped out of basements. Water/ice expanding and contracting in places it shouldn't be...not good.

The flood is going to be so long in duration that there is some discussion about this going into winter before the water has fully receded or pumped out of basements. Water/ice expanding and contracting in places it shouldn't be...not good.

What a mess. I see where North Dakota's oil money is going to go. I'm glad the voters in the state opted not to spend most of it instead put it away to earn interest(forgot which bill it was exactly), so the state has the funds. The state has major flooding problems in every region.

Here is a video of Hwy 2 just west of Towner. The lakes you see on both sides of the road are normally farm fields. This flood is going to have severe economic consequences.

The Mouse River winds through a lot of land in the region. There are many small towns that are also feeling the wrath of the Mouse. What is happening in Minot is horrible but there are many more people out there that need help.

I have relatives in Towner and Minot. We hunt a lot of the area in the fall. The Mouse River runs through the Clark Sawyer Refuge. I would be willing to bet that the refuge will never be the same again with this kind of flow through the basin. There will be many repercussions from this flood event.

My wifes aunt and uncle live in Minot on University Ave, they were evacuated yesterday. They knew it was coming so had a lot of stuff out already.

Another reason they had stuff ready to go is they have their house sold and are moving out of Minot after 35+ years. They sold it before all the flooding started and haven't closed yet. Who knows what will happen with that.

Either case I may be going to Minot soon to help move them for one reason or another.

DD

Flows thru Minot at this time is 17,000 cfs. River level in elevation is 1559.Expected flows by tomorrow are 26,000 cfs. River level is expected to crest at 1563 to 1564. The crest will remain for several days. That means by Saturday am we will have another 3-4 feet. Flows out of Lake Darling are planned to be held at 25,000 cfs. Keep in mind this is IF all goes well. Thunderstorms are predicted for tomorrow. Travel is extremely difficult and not advised due to flooding roads and bridges. Broadway, the main artery north and south is closed but expected to open sometime after the crest.

full-34939-9821-overtopping2.jpg

full-34939-9820-overtopping1.jpg

Thanks for the video ND live. I hope your home isn't in any of the flooded rivers out west there.

Thinking ahead to the recovery process. I would think Obama will declare the state a federal disaster at some point so Fema can come in. I have a good feeling Minot will come back a better town. Its close to the oil boom out there. I bet businesses related to oil will see an opportunity in Minot. I can think of other cities that have came back stronger after a flood.

We are safe and live just uphill a block or so from the photo of Little Flower Church.

Minot Flood Update June 25, 2011 @ 8am

The entire valley is a raging river! Water is up to 1559.5 and could come up another 3 feet. Broadway is still closed and crews are working frantically to keep up with erosion on the levees. 83 bypass is still open and is the main artery now for north and south traffic. Water on the north just below our house has surrounded Little Flower Church. The university has a dyke protecting it on the south.

full-34939-9855-erosionwork.jpg

full-34939-9856-littleflower.jpg