• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Folding up an otter

MNice

Question

I've only used mine about 6 times and I have created a new ventilation hole already frown.gif. How do you fold these things up? I am going to start making sure NONE of the canvas is between the bars and just roll the excess over the top and in the sled. I think my hole came from being pinched between the bars near the pivot point. I did buy mine used, so there was some wear and no instructions. Anybody else have any problems like this??

Thanks, Jeff.

9 answers to this question

From what the manufacturer says, that's the most common point where people get holes; the pinch point between the poles and bracket when folding it up.

After folding down from the inside, and making sure no canvas is near those "pinch points, I walk around to the outside back, lift each section and tuck the canvas in between the pole sections.

when I set mine up I knew that was going to be a problem and I would have many holes if it when unnoticed. However, When i set it up, I purposely left the bolts a little loose so that if the canvas does go in there, it wont pinch. Works great.

It looks like the manufacturer has done something to help this, as my new otter lodge has a half-moon shaped vinyl piece sewn onto the cover (inside) next to the bracket/pole hinge area probably to help the wear problem in this spot.

TL

[This message has been edited by LundExplorer (edited 01-07-2003).]

MNICE
Jeff, if you ever get unbusy and get to fish with me I'll show you a special way of folding the skins into the shelter...too hard to explain here. The key is to stay away from the pivot bracket on the ends other wise your going to damage the skin. It does not take much.

Lund, My otter is brnd new this year and has the pieces you're talking about, but its still common for me to get the area just in front of the pieces caught up in the hinges.

When my lodge is folded up and travel cover on it and in the back of my s-10 pick-up the material that overhangs the the sled edge will rub on the box, front and rear . This can cause some holes. The box is 6 feet and the sled with lip is 6 feet 2 inches . What I do is load it in backwards and put a sand bag about a foot from the tailgate ( usually keep the sand bag in all winter for traction). The sandbag sits under the front curve and lifts it up a bit so it's not jammed into the tail gate .This way it has some clearance and won't rub. Don't know how you transport yours but something to keep in mind.

MNice..
Call Otter at 1-877-466-8837 and they can send you out free canvas to patch your hole. I called them and they mailed me out more then I will need but now I just have to figure out the best way to patch some of my holes. I only have a few small ones from the hot lantern brushing up against the door but I think I may have some holes in the same area that you are talking about.

The biggest thing I noticed about folding up the otter is to keep the canvas loose so if some area is a little hung up it would tear. I did get one hole in the back corner where the canvas bungees around the sled but it did not get larger so I left it.

Anyway give em a call an let me know if you find out the best way to patch those holes.
Swill