Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thermos Bottles

9 posts in this topic

stanley is the only game in town!!

------------------
Dwight Skillings
dlskills@wecnet.com

Nissan or Zojirushi are the best "Hi-tech" thermos systems on the market.

I have a pint Nissan I can carry in my jacket, handy for a quick shot of Joe. They run about $30. If you snoop some you can get the 1.1 quart for about $30. www.cafemaison.com/cafemaison/mugs.html

corradocutlery_1715_11525202
corradocutlery_1715_11503486

The deal I really love is my Zojirushi air-pot. Oh son, that bugger keeps hot stuff hot for days, no kidding!
vrke30s.jpg

I bought mine in Fargo at the Red River Coffee Co. The store is in West Fargo across from the Sta-Mart in that new mall. They got good beans there too, Uf-Da. They have a web site too I think?

I use mine a lot while guiding. It hold a bit more then a pot of coffee and if you pre-heat it will boiling water it will seriously last 2 days and be nice and warm. I can set it on the ice and it will not melt snow, so they hold there heat very well.

They run about $45. Stainless steel outer case and a locking cap, well built and easy to clean. No glass, all hi-tech so no worries about dropping it. I bash mine around all the time, still works great. A good investment with a solid warranty.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

backwtr1@msn.com

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-07-2003).]

Nissan Stainless hands down! Since I have had one, my coffee stays hot twice as long as it did in a Stanley-and I carried one for years. The stainless is a true vacuum bottle. When you tap on the side you can feel it hum......T

BWE and Tbone,

I've got a question for you on the Nissan products. How durable are they? I had a Nissan travel mug that was bent and broken after just a couple of months of use.

My Stanley SS thermos is indestrucable. How about the Nissan thermos?

Nice to know you're a coffee geek, BWE....that makes two of us.

The Nissan Stainless takes a pretty good beating. I've had mine for three years and it goes with me everywhere. It has a dent or two in it alright, but no decrease in performance. Yep, I know the Stanley's can take a beating too. But these stainless jugs keep stuff hot a lot longer. I bought mine at Gander on a closeout sale. It was already dented and I got it for less than 1/2 price. Didn't care about the dent. I think the difference is the vaccuum between the fluid part and the outside. Anything like insulation between there can conduct the heat out of the fluid. Like Eddy said, just fill'er up with hot water before you put the coffee in and you're set........T

Nissan.
According to my wife, I have had my Nissan thermos for close to 10 years. She gave it to me for Valentines day way back when.
If you take the years of use devided by the cost, it is money well spent.
This past weekend I filled it with hot coffee after I emptied the hot water. This was at 4:30 A.M. I poured the last cup of coffee out of it at 5:00 P.M coming off Lake Winnie and it was still hot, not warm, hot.
Good Luck...

Yup-yup-yup huskminn...I like my coffee.

Good stuff...Yup-yup..gety-up-go-juice.

BLACK.......no sugar.......just BLACK as COAL!

Jig-jig-jig-jitter-juice......Yup...Yup!

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

wink.gif

I always wondered why they dont fill the hollow portion of the thermos with some sort of insulating foam?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• How can a bird with brain the size of a pea out smart us!
    • The 2 lakes i bass fish have slowed way down the last week.   A swim-bait ripple shad was hot ticket for a while but that is just a pike attraction right now.  Been switching to a Senko and helped a little.   Pads are coming up fast now and we should see a spike up in activity soon.  Cannot wait to throw the frogs soon as that is the biggest rush watching those eruptions in the water!!   Thanks for posting as i found it to be quite slower than usual also.   Which means i need to find better ammo during those times.  
    • Tomorrow we will be back at it
    • I am giving it a last hurrah tomorrow. Sorry I haven't been able to check in here much. I have hardly been able to get out this year between work, a baby at home, and a recent trip out of the country for a relative's wedding.    Last time I was out I had a real nice Tom within 20 yards after a very long standoff. I think I screwed it up by rushing myself a bit. He stood around 50 yards out literally strutting back and forth like someone had drawn a line in the mud that he wouldnt cross. He must not have wanted to fight with the strutter decoy we had out. He did that for 45 minutes to an hour and finally came our way after a hen led him towards us.    They came past us but were outside the decoys and angling slightly away from us. Then the tom turned and started angling straight at the strutter decoy. That meant he was basically quartering to me and when he was 15-17 yards or so out I drew because in the back of my mind i was thinking if he kept moving that way and past the decoy he would quickly be in a spot I would have had no shot.   In hindsight I think he had realized (once he got close enough) that he would have been able to whoop up on the decoy and he was coming in to do just that. I probably should have waited to see, but I didn't and right as I hit the backwall of my draw his head popped up on alert and he turned around and walked straight away knowing something wasn't quite right. I could have easily shot at him at 20 yards but he was facing away and I just didn't feel comfortable. I am confident I would have hit my mark but I didn't like shooting at something walking straight away when I am not experienced with bow hunting turkeys.   I know some people will say that I should have shot, but I have been bow hunting for awhile and never wounded anything because of a poor shot or poor shot selection, so I didn't want that to be a first. Hopefully I get a shot at redemption tomorrow!
    • Way to go team!! I sure took the avg score down with my jake
    • nice story, fishing has a way of easing the pains we have. even when we hurt like crazy when done for the day we are looking forward to the next outing.
    • way to go, guys yep, the toms not about to give up even though its close to closing time have seen several strutters the past couple weeks and heard gobbles yesterday while fishing
    • great job. makes it 5 for 5 for team 5 congrats on a nice tom, 57 and that willl give our team score a boost
    • One More Cast      Photo by:  Roger Abraham   If any of you out there are regular readers of my tales, you have followed my recent struggles with back and knees.  I can’t put a name to this drive I have to be on the stream as of late.  It borders on obsession. I guess in my mind if I am healthy enough to fish the world is right with me and I am not getting old and feeble.      Today I was a witness to that I am not the only one.  Lots of anglers and hunters live to go out into the outdoors. .  It is what drives them.  It makes them feel alive.  It is their passion.  I told my fishing buddy Abe today my thoughts.  I told him how I was feeling a little old.  I guess my 60th birthday coming up next month makes me feel mortal.  Abe laughed and said I was a young buck compared to him.  Abe turns 76 this year.     Abe told me tales about catching big trout in tiny streams in Wisconsin and out west.  The twinkle in his eye when he reminisced I had seen before in many trout anglers.      We fished a stretch for 2 hours.  I sat down and rested often.  Abe kept on fishing. He got hung up in a box elder branch and lost a lure.  Abe told me box elders trees were his nemesis when he fished.   He asked me which tree was my kryptonite.  I told him, "ones with branches."  We both had a chuckle and continued fishing.   I thought to myself this guy is really driven.  I hope I am like him at 76.     We got to the vehicle and Abe wanted to continue fishing.  Abe’s waders sprang a leak earlier and he fell in the water a couple times.  He was quite wet.  He wanted to change in to dry clothes before we continue.  Abe peeled off his wet shirt and there were two things stuck to his chest.  He could tell by my questioning look he needed to tell me what was up.     Abe told me he had been having heart problems lately and he was supposed to be wearing a heart monitor.  He left it in the car because he was afraid of getting the electronics wet.  Here I have been whining about being old and the guy I was fishing with left his heart monitor in his vehicle.      Abe reassured me that he was in no danger and he could continue fishing.  I started brainstorming on a place to fish where it was not so hard walking.  Now that I knew he was not as healthy as he looked I wanted an easy place to fish.  I knew the place and it was upstream 5 miles.     We arrived at the well manicured field.  It looked like a golf green.  I picked the area because the farmer kept sheep and goats on the land and the weeds and brush were gone because of the goats.  We walked and fished.     Abe told tales of the old days and of fish lost and landed.  I walked a little forward to fish and looked back to check up on Abe.  What I saw when I looked back scared me and I immediately asked Abe if he was ok.  Abe was laying flat on the ground face down.  I thought the worst and he could tell by my face.  He told me to calm down.  His back was acting up and he needed to straight it out and that was the best way to do it.   We fished a little bit more and he took a photo of me.  He liked the lighting. He told me it captured the essence of trout fishing.  He did not have a camera.  I let him use mine.  He was not camera savvy and needed an impromptu lesson on how to use it.   We drove to his car and we talked about our love of the outdoors. We shook hands and headed our separate ways and promised to fish again soon.  As I drove home I smiled and thought about how I am going to be when I am 76.  I hope I am like Abe and my eyes still twinkle when I talk of chasing trout and I am still driven to make one more cast.
    • The past week has had me having multiple close calls and missing a brute at 45 yards.  Tonight I talked my dad to give it another try and there were birds in the field when we got there.  Birds ended up leaving as we tried to sneak in.  A short 20 minutes later they were back and we watched and worked the big group of toms and hens for more than 2 hours before we got one to commit.  Dad shot him with his 20 gauge at 48 yards,(this thing shoots an awesome pattern).  The 3 year old was down and only flopped a few times.   Nice 1+ inch spurs, 10" beard and heavy.  A good evening for sure!
  • Our Sponsors