• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire question

upnorth

OK newbie question here. I bought this bike (2001 V star 1100 Classic) last fall and the guy had just put on a new rear, but the front was pretty well worn. It is not a baldy yet but not a lot of tread left. Well he put a Metzler on the rear and the current on the front is a Dunlop. The Tire shop in town here has a Dunlop of the appropriate size on the shelf (and for a pretty reasonable price). The question is am I OK mixing the two different brands if they are of the same construction, ie, radial or bias ply? He said it will be fine, but he is trying to make a sale so I am leery of completely taking his word on this.

It shouldn't be a problem if they are of the same construction, (I've mixed brands many times with good results) but it would still be a good idea to do a search on the tire model and see how its rated compared to others, and base your decision on that.

I agree with Mac. Mixing brands should be ok. I personally would steer away from mixing different construction (bias and radial). Some tires will also have different compounds throughout the tire that will handle differently than what you have on the rear. Judging from your posts it doesn't sound like you're doing much highway travel so you should be ok.

The last set I had on my Concours was the same brand and model but the tires never felt like they were a matched set. I've got close to 700 miles on the new set so I'll try to update my review of the new Metzlers this weekend.

All I put on my bike is Dunlop. Just personal preference. The Avons are super expensive and don't have half the tack that Dunlops do. Never seen why people like them, other than the "cool looking" tread pattern... Heard good things about Metzlers, but not for longevity. I see they typically go about 4-5,000 miles.

For the price, quality, durability, and rideability, I'd vote for Dunlops 100% of the time.