• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing Northerns?

Markley

Question

7 answers to this question

why do you feel something that has been around for who knows how long suddenly was made illegal just b/c someone came along who didnt really have that great of a knowledge of the sport and never supplied a reason, but just said they thought it should be illegal?

What about catch and release that this HSOforum promotes? I prefer catching northerns on a line and lure trolling in the summer evening and now a 5.8 lb northern is gone in an area lake. I also would have released him for another day!

North Dakota made spearing legal last year.Geat huh! As for catch and release when spearing all you have to do is release the spear on the fish you want.Don't even have to handle the fish you dont want.

fish on!

Definately "no".

Spearfishing is a great sport that is largely misunderstood by those who don't do it. I think most non-spearers view spearfisherman as meat hogs that take every fish they can get, which is simply not true.

My guess is that you unwittingly kill many more fish by post release mortality than the average spearfisherman does by spearing. And I know for sure that a fish that comes to a hole and is not speared is far better off than one that is hooked, photographed and released.

Amen Stiff!!
That explains my thoughts too! There is nothing like seeing a northern slamming your decoy through a spear hole!! Talk about getting your heart pumping! If you don't want the fish, don't throw the spear.