• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heavy sled ideas

Swill

Question

Hey helpfull fishermen..
I have pickup and a heavy sled. When I get it loaded it is impossible to lift by myself. Any ideas on how to get that otter in my pickup? I now have to unload everything and that stinks..Thanks

8 answers to this question

I purchased an otter resort this year and really wondered about loading it by myself, but with proper loading and technique it really isn't bad at all. I load the auger motor rearward and also everything else with any weight to the rear. Everything gets bungied down. I then pull the sled up quite close to and perpendicular to the tailgate, stand the sled on the back end and swing it 90 degrees and lean it on the tailgate. I have the hi-fax runners, so they dig in and hold it. Possibly it won't work without them. It then doesn't take a lot to lift the back end and shove it in. It wants to slide back when you first lift, but after a couple of times, you develope a knack for it.

I thought I would have to make a ramp like fishbreath mentioned, but I've managed well. I almost didn't purchase the otter for the weight of it, but I'm sure glad I did.

Buddy of mine has a big Otter and he just brings along two 2X10s that are almost as long as his pickup bed, so they provide a gentle sloped ramp and still fit in the bed. He puts them on, pushes the otter fully loaded up the ramp, throws the boards in the bed and takes off. No problem.

Thanks for the great tips. Looks like I gotta bust out my tools and cut down some wood for a basic runner. I like the real long ramp idea.
Usually I have no problems with someone else but by myself it can be a real workout.
Thanks again!

ok maybe I am stupid...but I tried the long ramp idea and the board kept getting pushed into my bed and it did not seem to work that well.

Fishbreath....what type of ramp did you make?

Does anyone have any more ideas? I now have to hang the sled out...unload everything and then I can lift if out and then reload it again...
It is a pain but what ya going to do...Swill

swill, I would guess that you may have to add some type of "lip" on the board bottom. Say, maybe a 2x2 right where the ramp board meets your tailgate. This would stop the board from sliding up the tailgate, maybe ????

swill just make sure you bring me along if you need a helping hand lifting smile.gif
i usually just took out the heavier stuff and then lifted it in. maybe take out the propane tank, and auger if it is gas. just taking those out will make it alot easier.

Well my arms are sore but I did it. I unloaded most of the heavy stuff like pig sticka suggested and gave it the old dead lift and it wasn't too bad just a pain in the butt. I am still going to figure out something.... I can't wait until I buy a enclosed trailer someday so I can just slide it in and be done.
Ohhh well if I take others fishing with me then I have no problems smile.gif