• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ipad in Boat?

sparetime

Question

So I now realize that I can get a lake map application for my wife’s Ipad (big learning curve for me). Who is using the Navionics app and how do you like it? A few of the reviews at the ITunes store were not very good.

Additionally, how are you protecting the device? From water and bouncing?

(For what it’s worth, we were given the Ipad as a gift, so no hazing please)

I also posted this in computers/electronics - sorry, just didn't know the best place.

9 answers to this question

I think somebody brings this one up every other week or so.

So, I'll post what I post every other time it comes up - even though it could be interpreted as hazing:

Leave that thing at Starbucks where it belongs. Ruining it in the boat will sting even worse since it is your wife's toy.

Not rugged enough/too expensive to bring out in the boat 2c

You can get that app on your iPhone as well...if you have one. Also, you need to have service for the tracking to work I believe. I only have the wi-fi iPad and it says it needs to be connected...yeah...too bad I don't have wifi in the middle of Lake of the Woods!

The 3g version is the only one with GPS capabilities. WiFi only version doesn't have gps and won't ever show or track your position.

Some might recommend using the Otterbox, but the iPad versions aren't recommended for water protection

I think somebody brings this one up every other week or so.

So, I'll post what I post every other time it comes up - even though it could be interpreted as hazing:

Leave that thing at Starbucks where it belongs. Ruining it in the boat will sting even worse since it is your wife's toy.

Not rugged enough/too expensive to bring out in the boat 2c

Funny thing is, I spent some time searching in the forums before posting here and apparently I'm not as wise as Bobbymalone because I couldn't find an answer to this question. Must be my limited computer skills, huh?