• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broken Mantles Dangerous?

Greg Clusiau

Question

As I was removing the remnants of two broken gas-lantern mantles the other day, my brother said "you're not supposed to get that on your hands". I never heard of this before. Chemicals or what? There's nothing regarding this possible danger on the mantle package. Any thoughts on this? Thanks. Greg C

11 answers to this question

Greg , I know that thorium mantles produce a small amount of radiation , however, the common mantles should be safe as new chemicals are used in them.In fact I dont think they even make the thorium ones any more. You can go to coleman's web page and ask them there.They usually reply in a day or two.

Greg,do you know a fella by the name of Big Joe K?The guy who tried to take on the whole togo joe's place a year or two ago?
I work with him and have chatted with you at another site.
Benny

Greg,
The only thing I ever heard regarding mantles is, don't breath the fumes when you burn a new one. I accidently got a lung full a couple of years ago and it was a very unpleasant experience.

Ole

I thought I reconized the name Greg, and as far as I know there is nothing harmfull in the mantels.I have been using the coleman lanterns for 20 years and have never been sick form handling them or breathing the fumes when lit.Well some people wonder if I spent to much time in the shack out on SnowBall all them years while growing up in Pengilly.
Benny

My cousin Morty used to breath in the dust from broken mantles all the time. I told him it was bad but he didn't believe me. And now he's dead. Some people say it was from the gravel truck that ran him over, but I know it was the mantles.