• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye

Rick

Mary,
I fished Tetonka last October, hoping for a good walleye bite. Unfortunately I only came up with a few cigars. However, it was pretty windy that day.
Next time I go, I plan on trying to give a vertical presentation to the walleyes. The reason for this is, I traveled a large section of the lake and "marked" a lot of fish on the lcd. They were holding in small areas in steep or fast transition areas, in little pockets persay. Small shelf areas adjacent to deeper water seemed to be holding larger fish. Since it was extremely windy, it was hard to stay over the fish I marked. I don't know if i'm providing any information, except that next time I will be fishing in a slower more vertical presentation, hitting the fish holding in the subtle pocket areas next to deep water. Good luck and keep the rods a bendin'!!!
Jim W

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I have it on good authority that plenty of nice size eyes are coming out of Sakakawea in ND. The Williston area.

Finally caught myself a big walleye! I finally know what it is like to debate about keeping a wall hanger vs releasing. 11 lbs 11 oz. What a pig. My 8 year old son also got one over 8 1/2. Yesterday was our lucky day. They are both swimming, I just hope my pictures turn out.
Tully

Thanks guys,
I got my pictures back last night, they turned out great. I was very nervous. The wind was gusting to 40 mph and I had my 8 yr old taking the pictures. To top it all off the camera got wet and stopped working. I wasn't sure the pictures would turn out.
Tully

The Homing Jig...

Just got back from Wisconsin opener with my Dad. We were fishin Yellow Lake in Burnett County. Two lines per person there so we each had a slip bob and a jiggin rig. We were catchin everything but walleye (ex. perch, bass, bullhead, and northern) this last Saturday. And Yellow Lake is a pretty decent walleye lake. So we came back in from our morning run and went back out around 6:00 pm and started fishin off the dropoff we usually go to. Nothin for the first half-hour. It was pretty windy and tuff to cast where you wanted to, so my jig would sometimes home in on my Dad's bobber that was downwind. After a couple casts and laughs at my dad when I hit his bobber, I started bringin in nuthin but walleye. His bobber had a fathead on a yellow hook while I was also usin a fathead on mine. I was laughin so hard that I couldnt get my jig rhythm down, and I was STILL bringin in one on almost every cast. And all the while his bobber would just sit there, just off the bottom, swaying in the wind, being completely worthless. He finally switched over to a similar jig as mine and fished in the general area and we came back home with about half our limits. :-)

[This message has been edited by WallEyer (edited 05-07-2001).]

What a monster Tully! Way to go!!!! I do have an interesting way that i saw on the In-Fisherman tv show the other weekend to catch walleye. Now this kinda situation only happens every so often from what i know. But the guy was tossing poppers and catching tons of walleyes. Now this was a one day thing from what he said but he also said that it happens more often than people know. Since most walleyes are caught slightly deeper no one even thinks to toss out a surface plug and try it that way. But from what i have seen it does work on certain days. If anyone has heard of this technique before, of tried this out let me know how you did and what time of year you fished!

Last weekend I took my wife and son back to my home town of LaCrosse for the trout fishing opener. The weather a sat was nasty and my wife decided she would rather go shopping then fishing. This left me open to check out acouple of high water bank spots for walleyes.(seeing how the river is still closed to boats).
I found walleyes holding out in front and to the sides of a huge culvert. The action was hot and the eyes were in their post spawn pattern. I offered them a fat head on a 3/16 chartruse leadhead with a crappie sized tube and they didn't waste anytime picking the light jig up.
With alot of other people trying the same spot but on the down river side of the culvert. Casting into the discharge with cranks netting them some nice smallmouth but not a walleye. Small jigs,live bait, light line and a slow jigging retrieve was what those tired(from the spawn)hungry walleyes were looking for.
I have found the fish there before in previous years,but only when the river is above flood stage. I'm thinking of heading back there this weekend seeing the river is slow to come down this year. Get another walleye fix before the river drops and they are gone again till next spring and high water.
Good Fishing.

Both my buddy and I have been running a lindy style rig. I put on a 1/8 or 1/4 ounce bullet sinker, swivel and snap, then about 4 foot of line with a glow in the dark bead and a number 6 VMC hook. All of this is topped off with a "plain" crawler. We have been picking up the walleyes in 8 to 14 feet of water depending on the day but you gotta fish SLOW and in the weeds. Thats my two cents worth!

I was on Pokegama here 2 weeks ago and was told that there were walleyes in there. So we slowly(kinda slow anyways the wind was bad and there were whitecaps everywhere)drift jigged for a while and found some nice weedbeds. But we couldnt pick up any walleye. We found our way around an island and there was a weedbed at about 7 or 8 feet and then it dropped off to about 14. We anchored and tossed out some small(1/8oz)jigs and slowly jigged them back. It picked up lots and lots of perch and we figured if we woulda stayed till dark the walleye woulda moved in. Any ideas on a tatic that might work in a situation that is similar to this?

Hello guys, and girls. Just wondering what your favorite walleye rig is for this time of the year? Mine would have to be a 60in long lindy rig behind a 1/2oz weight with a crawler or leach. 2nd favorite would have to be a jig and a minnow.

hey guys im gunna be up in the Hibbing/Chisholm area(anyone know where that is?)in a few days and I was wondering what lakes near there are producing good numbers of fish. also what type rigs should I use. I am a fairly inexperienced walleye angler due to the fact that I only get to fish in MN a few times a year so any info will be much appreciated!thanks

I was reading about walleye habits, and I noticed somebody mentioned when they feed they go in strikes approx. 3 hours apart, then tested myself and found out it might be true. Example: I fish at dusk eg. 10:00pm, great fishing for 1 hour then nothing, still nothing until 1:00am then bite comes up again, then nothing for few hours until dawn and bite comes back again.

Does anybody have any idea if this is just a theory, or a fact ?

Thanks.

Val

Hey guys, I was hoping for some help finding fish in the Fargo area. If anyone knows of a good place for walleyes, bass, or northerns or good spots for cats on the red or elsewhere, within a couple hours drive of Fargo it'd be of great help. I don't own a boat so if anyone knows of good river fishing that'd be ideal or if there is a good place to fish from shore in the area, please let me know

thanks

arch00 try to cover some water at night with deep diving crank baits. Go out during the day light and scan the points, humps and deep water basin with a good locator and see if you can mark some fish, they might be anything, Walleyes, Northerns, big schools of bait fish. Look for the best concentration of fish, mark the depth you marked them at and where. Run the crankbaits at that level that night. Tried this technique on Long Lake in Late June and had success. Whatever depth you find them at during the day, I found them to constantly hold at that level, give or take a couple of feet. Be sure to attach a split shot about 3-4 feet up the line to catch any weeds that might slip down to the bait. Don't be afraid to let out some line either, I was running approximately 150-160 feet behind the boat with Power-Pro line. Good luck and let us know how you did.