• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Pup!

Bobby Bass

Today is dog day, kind of a secret but today I go and pick up my chocolate lab puppy. Should be an interesting day as the old dogs Bud and Barney don't know he is coming and I might have forgotten to mention it to the wife also. Have been working on bring this pup home for the last few weeks and I have my friend Chuck sworn to secrecy. We are going to try the approach that Chuck got the dog and is giving it to me as a early birthday present. Hoping that the puppy will do it's part and win the wife over before we let her know it is staying.

With three cats in the cabin and the two older dogs I am sure this will be a mad house for the next few days or maybe even months. I have to pick up the dog crate I ordered. Figure the pup will need a safe place to hideout and I may need one to. Dog food and a collar is needed and of course a name. The hard part has been coming up with a name. The daughter, who is in on it by the way has vetoed any of the ideas for names that I have come up with. Heck we might just call it DOG in honor of John Wayne.

So this is going to be a short and sweet message. If you hear a lot of noise out your way later this afternoon, it is not the storm but just merely my wife expressing herself over the addition of another dog. If you see someone walking a chocolate lab pup with an umbrella kind of heading nowhere, that might be me. Have a good day from Lake Iwanttobethere

Well I did not have to go to the dog house, wife came home and Duncan the new pup jumped out from under the cover on the couch and jumped up on her, Rolled them puppy eyes and she was all done. Later he climbed up on the couch and went to sleep next to the wife and I caught her petting him. Of course this morning at 6 she took him out of the crate and dumped him in bed with me, so much for me sleeping in.

Bobby bass, I like your story. Just went through the same deal last month. My wife is falling in love with him these days and my little six year old daughter can't get enough of him. We don't have any other dogs but the one cat we have has finaly figured out that he is harmless and now comes up stairs again. Boyd (the pup)thinks he is a toy until he gets smacked. No claws in the cat so it is good humor at this point but I think we will have to start keeping him from chasing the cat before the cat becomes lunch some day. Lol I think my wife would loose the love for Boyd at that point. Good luck with your new pup and the training ahead.

The Duncan Report.

Well the wife has accepted Duncan, who could resist them purtty eyes.. Now if I was about thirty years younger this guy, Duncan would be a babe magnet for sure! All I would have to do is take him for walks on the beach or anywhere gals hang out.

So far today the cats in the house hold the high ground and Duncan is trying to find his way around. No accidents so far and he goes in and out of his crate with out much coaxing.

Duncan report

Well Duncan is acting like a baby. Like clockwork for the past four nights he starts howling in his crate about 3 am I let him out and he went straight to the door and outside for a pee. Can't be hard on him for that, he is doing well on the housebreaking. So rather than putting him back in the crate I let him follow me to bed where he was soon back to sleep. At 7:30 I woke up to nibbles on my ear, thought I was going to get lucky but it was only Duncan wanting to be let outside..

Duncan Report

A few more days have passed and Duncan is starting to get a personality. First off he has questionable chewing skills. Today as I watched him he could not decide on chewing his four dollar chew toy or the daughters old bedroom slipper. He would go back and forth between them not dropping either to far away so he would not have to move much to retrieve and continue his taste test. Did I say Retreive... Well, he is a lab after all.

PICT1332.jpg Duncan has found something other than a slipper to play with and right now it is his pet! Two weeks already and I look forward to when the grandkids come over and tire Duncan out.

The Duncan Report- Leaving his mark!

Well I was out on the deck staining some trim boards and like a dummy I was not watching what I was doing and knocked a quart of stain off the table and on to the deck. I looked around for someone to blame but I was alone. Before I could do anything Duncan ran through the stain and laid down Duncan steps across the deck to the grass. O well I was going to stain the deck anyway..

Duncan Report- So I am sitting on my deck enjoying a frosty drink of my choice when I hear what sounds like someone making little boat bubbling noises in a bath tub. I turn to yell at grand kids and instead find Duncin with his head so deep in the water bucket that he his blowing bubbles out his nose! He then pulls his head out of the bucket and shakes his head sending water in all directions. Yup, this dog is growing a personality.

lovin it. i baby sat my daughters golden lab yesterday and while still a young pup i enjoyed every minute of it. i think he did too, i think i spoil the grand kids and that is rubbing off of the two new pups that my daughters have. i'm the official drop off zone but love every minute of it. good luck.

after loosing our two dogs a few years ago my wife and i thought we we have no other dogs. very hard loosing them. well, yesterday i thought i was dropping off the grandkids with my wife at our daughters house. my youngest daughter hands me their book on labs [both my daughters have labs, less than a year old]. she said you may need it. i said well maby someday. she points to a smaller animal cage that was covered up.

i looked inside and there was a chocolate lab pup. she said she's yours. i could not believe it. my wife and my daughters have been planning this for some time. looking around until they found Lucy, the name i gave her yesterday. so here we go again. another wonderfull adventure. good luck.

Bobby, what are your methods for house training for Duncan. so far not so bad with Lucy but she had a couple of in house hit's. i blame myself fot that more than her. i showed lucy the spot where she left her deposit and gave a gentle swat with rolles up paper on her butt. is that a good method? thanks good luck.