• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sioux Falls area rivers, lakes, ponds, pits, streams, reservoirs, etc

This summer I am moving to Sioux Falls and am just curious if anyone knows what kinds of fishing there is to be had in the area?

I am not really looking for anyones specific hotspot...but if you want to tell me I will listen...lol

Just curious if someone could let me know what bodies of water are around the area and what types of fish they hold?

there are plenty of places to fish near Sioux Falls.

Of course you have the big sioux, that has several place via shore, and some from boat south of Sioux Falls, but the river finally now is open to recreation after the Governor closed it to high water level and rapid flow do to flooding.

As far as lakes to the West in the very edge of town you have Family Park, and about 8 miles west there is Wall Lake and a few more miles is Loss lake and then Lake vermillion as well as the Vermillion River.

To the North West a little further you have Twins lakes, Diamond Lake, Island Lake etc.

To the South East you have Lake Alvin, and further South East there is Lake Lakota.

All of these hold fish and are relatively small lakes. I actually live just down the road from Alvin so fish that often.

Good luck on your move, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Welcome to the area! Here is a short list of some places to fish in the SF area:

Missouri River - Chamberlain - Awesome Walleye fishing! Shore or boat works in the spring. Good from boat all summer long. Only a 2 hr drive.

Lake Poinset - North of Brookings - Multi-species. Good walleye and bass lake. 1.5 hr drive

Lake Madison - Madison, SD - good Perch lake. Holds walleye as well - 1hr

Lake Herman - Madison, SD - Spring Walleye - 1hr

Lake Alvin - Harrisburg - Panfish and bullhead - 1/2 hr

Lake Lakota - Canton - Panfish and some bass - 45 min

Beaver Lake - Humboldt - Carp - 20 min

Big Sioux River - Walleye N of town; carp & bullhead in town

my main theory is that I usually drive to some of the lakes closer to sioux falls, but then I realize its only few more miles to others and I end up driving further.

Other lakes to look at would be Brant Lake, Lake Thompson. Or even down in Yankton you can get the Missouri river and fish above or below the dam, and also Lake Yankton is a great lake to fish as well.

I would strongly suggest going out to the SDGFP site and learn the regs as to what lakes are Trophy lakes, no wake lakes, etc.

again good luck.

This summer I am moving to Sioux Falls and am just curious if anyone knows what kinds of fishing there is to be had in the area?

I am not really looking for anyones specific hotspot...but if you want to tell me I will listen...lol

Just curious if someone could let me know what bodies of water are around the area and what types of fish they hold?

I didn't see you posted this here, but I posted a response in the SW MN forum...pretty much everything I posted was covered by the other guys here. Plenty of places to wet a line, especially when the water gets hard!