• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What fillet knife?

Pig_sticka

Question

i got myself a 6in rapala cheap knife, and it works terrible. i could barely clean my last catch. what knife do the experts recommend? (what was that one guy at the last fishin show? his knife worked great it looked like) any help, other members are probably wondering the same thing

I also have an Old Timer. And it sits in its case on the shelf, because I can't stand a flimsy blade when you're trying to get all the meat off a panfish. It works OK for smaller narrow fish like eater 'eyes and smaller perch, but if you press at all while filleting on a tall-bodied fish like pannies, the tip of the blade elevates too far off the spine, and you lose meat that way. Those Rapalas have stiffer blades, and work better. The Chicago Cultery fillet knives I've used had TOO stiff blades, which was like filleting a fish with a Buck hunting knife.

Maybe more expensive knives work better than the Rap, but I've had 'er a long time, and if I decide to drop $25 or more for a fillet knife, it'll be an electric.

I have had a Big Eddy for about 5 years. This knofe holds an edge for along time and has a perfect spine. I'm not sure if these knoves are still made but I would like to get a smaller ony for doing trout and birds.
Any body know where I can get one.
Has anyone ever tried one of these if so what did you think?

i just bought the miracle blade 3 series knife set lol
anyone ever used these knifes. if they ever break dull or anything even if it is my fault i can return them. i donno but at 40 bucks even just that deal for the fillet knife is worth it and i get like 12 more knifes. n the pairing knife is worth its weight in gold smile.gif

chef tony dont let me down i have some fish to clean. anyone else use these things? ill get em in 3-6 weeks until then ill have my rapala.
o and i did get an extra set if anyone wants to buy the extra one 40 bucks smile.gif good fishin

My vote goes to the "Cutco fisherman's solution" match this with a chef's choice electric diamond sharpener and your set. I sharpen tools and blades all the time and the trick sharpening is to maintain the exact angle all the time. whether in a magnetic hold "chef's choice" or crock sticks, draw sharpeners and so on. they all sharpen because the angle never changes. watch out for the knifes at my house!metro