• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance Update

FM_Mike

Question

18 answers to this question

Just bought a new HD-7 that has the 3.0 version downloaded on it. I tried to download 4.0, but haven't been successful. Took 44 minutes to download on my SD card. When I went to upload it onto my HD-7 it said I didn't have enough memory. Am I doing something wrong?? I wantt he new update, but I'm struggling getting it done. On my HD7 is there a specific way to get the information onto my unit that I am unaware of? Seemed so easy on my LMS-520 to upload information.

Thanks for the help.

When you download the new update you need to do the following:

Download to your computer first. I save it to my desk top. After the download, (it could take a while based on your download speed) open the file on your computer and follow the steps from there. It is a self extracting file. After it has opened it will ask you where you want to place it. At that point you need to place it where ever you have your SD card on your computer. It is usually called E of F drive. Place the file you opened to go to that drive.( it will take a while for it to load on your SD card 15 minutes maybe +/_. When it done it will tell you it is complete.

Take the card to your unit, make sure your unit it off. Place the card in your unit and turn it on, the file will download on its own and will finish when completed. Take the card out and restart unit.

As far as updates, you do not have to have the previous updates loaded before you do this one. The 4.0 update contains all the past updates so if you missed one don't worry about it.

If you need any help beyond this try the Lowrance web sight or let me know.

Mike

Sometimes the large SD cads do not work for some reason, I use a 2mb card and have not had an issue. Also remember to format your card before you use it to make sure that there are no files on the card before you put the update on it.

Mike

Sometimes the large SD cads do not work for some reason, I use a 2mb card and have not had an issue. Also remember to format your card before you use it to make sure that there are no files on the card before you put the update on it.

Mike

You are kidding me right? SDHC doesn't work on something as new as an HDS?

You are kidding me right? SDHC doesn't work on something as new as an HDS?

HDS units are supposed to take cards up to 32 gig. I've got a bunch of cards, the biggest ones are sdhc 8 gig cards. I've never had a problem with them in HDS units. But even so the cards I use the most are 2 gig cards.

I had success on my second try. I have a Mac and followed Lowrance's instructions. My first try, I dragged all of the folders at the same time to my (2G) SD card, but nothing happened when I put it into the HDS unit. My second try, I dragged each of the 3 files separately onto my SD card and then it worked fine. Don't know if it was coincidence or not, but worked none-the-less.

I'm struggling with this darn update myself. I know it should be easy, but it is kicking my #@@#. Is there somewhere on my HD 7 that I can go to that will show me that my 4.0 is actually installed? I see where it tells me that my Lakemaster chip is in the SD slot, but nothing about the 4.0 update that I have attempted.

thanks

This is how you check.

Mike

How to see if your HDS is already using version 4.0:

From a chart or sonar page, press the MENU key twice to activate the Settings menu.

Select SYSTEM.

Select ABOUT from the SYSTEM menu.

The software version is displayed with the title "Application" and 4.0.36.56.

If your Application is the same as listed in step 4 above, there is no need to download the software.

I believe the main issue with the larger cards people were having was mainly due to not completely wiping them clean first, fully formating them.

If not clean when the new update was loading into the unit it would fight you trying to read other oddball bogus data on the cards. If the HDS detects something bogus, it will refuse the update and about the process. Fully wiping and formating your update cards has eliminated any problems I have ran into.

If you have one in the box, make sure it is the HST WSBL transducer, model 106-72 if you are fishing inland waters. There should be a silver tag on the transducer that will identify the model.

This is the one most are using. There are different ones available depending on where and how

you will fish. (IE Salt water, Deep water over 100')

Enjoy your new unit I thick you will really like it. You may want to check and make sure you have the latest updates installed. Lowrance 4.0. Read in post and you will see how to check and how to get and install the update if you do not have it.

Mike

Thanks for the reply, I did update it from 3 or whatever it was to 4, still haven't used it yet hopefully this weekend. I did buy a transducer thinking I needed one, ill have to look to see what one came with it.