• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sonar Question

Norco

Question

I just took my fish finder off my boat and convertated it to a portable fish finder. I am wondering if that ticking sound that the transducer gives off, the sonar wave or whatever you call it will spook off walleye.

4 answers to this question

Might spook some, might attract some, but you will still catch more most days with one.
If they are really spooky, but you know they are down there, then try turning off the sonar and see if they bite better.

fish Ooon!

><}}}("< ---><!>

That snapping sound is the same sound that a Vexilar or any depthfinder will give off. I dont think the fish will be sacared by it or i dont even know if a fish can hear it under water.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

I had same issue posted few years back, all sonars have the ticking sound, I don't think it will scare fish, unless you are in very shallow water, which eliminates use of it since cone is too narrow, and you won't see much, so as might as well shut it off.
On deeper situtation, I think fish is not bothered, since there are far more "noises" in lake than a ticking sound (cracks, ice stretch, etc.)

Norco, your biggest concern should be that you get the transducer to point straight down. If you have it off to one-side-or-the-other you will not be pleased.

Food for thought...If the sound that sonars give off would harm the fishing, do you think that most profisherman would have one even two depth finders in their boat often running at the same time when there is money on the line be it a tournament purse or paying clients?

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND