• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canned Trout or Smoked Trout ~ A Tough Decision

I like 'em both and I'll be sampling some of each tonight. The recipe I used today for the canned trout is one I haven't made in several years, I've been going pretty simple lately. This one has some peppercorn BBQ steak sauce, lemon pepper, bay leaf, salt, vinegar, Montreal seasoning, and a few slices of yellow pepper.

DSC01611a.jpg

Try canning your smoked trout. I know it sounds like a waste of smoked fish. We canned some a few years ago because we had to much smoked trout to eat and didn't want to freeze it. Once canned it still tastes like fresh smoked fish.

Awesome stuff. I smoke trout alot but I have never canned it. When I was a kid my dad was at this gun show out in Whitefish Montana and some guy had canned trout and my dad got a case of it in trade for a gun. It was great. Like probably the best thing I ever ate. Anybody got more recipes for canned trout? Post em please.

Agent Andy,

I've tried it a couple of times but I didn't cure or brine the fish like I do for regular smoked fish, it was more like a flavor smoke. I think I went an hour or two in my box smoker, then wnet to the jars.

Awesome stuff. I smoke trout alot but I have never canned it. When I was a kid my dad was at this gun show out in Whitefish Montana and some guy had canned trout and my dad got a case of it in trade for a gun. It was great. Like probably the best thing I ever ate. Anybody got more recipes for canned trout? Post em please.

Canning trout and salmon is so easy. You use the cold pack method, which means the raw fish goes into jars. You don't need any liquid to speak of, some folks use none at all I use a couple of tablespoons. One thing to note is that adding spices does not always work when food is pressure canned since it tends the taste tends to disappear. Salt helps but is not necessary. Additional seasoning can be added as needed after a jar is opened.

When canning fish (or catching fish for smoking), it is CRITICAL that you field dress your fish immediately after landing them and get them in a cooler on ice

DSC01443ra.jpg

DSC01616a.jpg

DSC01446ra.jpg

Summary of Procedure

1. Clean jars then place in simmering water prior to filling. 1/2 pint and pint jars only. Quarts don’t work as well when canning fish.

2. Flats boiled for no more than 5 minutes, then kept in hot water.

3. De-bone fillets and cut into strips to fit jars. If you are going to keep the skin on, scrape off the scales. Soak fish in lightly salted water for 20 or 30 minutes... thicker fillets can go an hour, then rinse. When going in the jars, you will need 1” of headspace, so cut the fish accordingly.

4. Have canner ready with hot water – 3 quarts of hot water + 1T vinegar

5. Add water, vinegar and any ketchup or sauce to jar. Add fish strips to jars with skin out (for appearance)

6. Add seasonings

7. Clean rim of jar with paper towel dipped in vinegar. Add the warm flat and a ring, hand tighten.

8. Load jars into canner with warm water. When you get all your jars into the canner, put on the lid, bump up the heat and vent air for about 10 minutes. Add the weight and wait for the canner to come up to temp, then start the timer.

9. Process jars for 100 minutes @ 13 psi (4,000’ – 6000’) Setting of 2 on dual burner will maintain 13psi.

10. Use natural release.

Here is a starter recipe, you can use about any combination of seasonings you like. As a minimum use vinegar and salt. Since pressure canners hold 6 or more jars, try different combinations in each jar to find out what your favorite recipe is.

Canned Salmon # 1 Dill & Garlic (pints)

Salmon – skin off

Salmon was brined in a lite brine for about 1 hour and rinsed

In the Jars:

1 – 2 Tablespoons bottled water

1 Tablespoon vinegar

1/2 to 1 teaspoon of canning or sea salt

Pinch of dill weed

Sprinkle of granulated garlic

2 Jalapeno rings

Options:

Lemon Pepper

1 Tablespoon of ketchup, bbq sauce, steak sauce or tomato juice

Onion powder

Oregano

Parsley

I just made an edit to my post, and I can't stress this point enough.... when canning or smoking, it's critical to field dress your fish immediately after catching and get them in a cooler on ice. Stringered trout will not come out anywhere near as good.