• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another fl-8 question

trophyhunter

Question

7 answers to this question

I will usually make sure the bottom of the transducer is at least even or just a little below the ice. That way you get proper coverage. If it wasn't down at least that far it would obstruct the coverage you should get. Good luck! smile.gif

-------------

Fishn'Lady

Not a dumb question, but there is no "right depht really. I like mine just under the water so I don't get tangled while fightin a fish. If i get into a whopper, I can just reach over with one hand and pull out the whole thing.
Fishing that way you will get some static in the first few feet, but that doesn't bother me.

Set the hook!

><}}}("< ---><!>

I have had many fish get tangled up in the vex. I am wondering if anyone has tried drilling a holes directly next to each other and put the transducer down one and fish in the other? I will give it a try today and let you know.

I do cut another hole right next to the hole I fish for my transducer.
This prevents tangling with the transducer. Works so well, I have cut out all my cussing and swearing at my transducer entanglement issue. But I have done this for many years.
So, I have found other reasons to cuss and swear while fishing. Like last evening on Knife lake. that darned dog wouldn't leave me and my fish alone.....
Crappie Todd....... ( Crappies, Inc )

Lower your transducer into the hole until you no longer get any false "ghost" readings in the upper few feet of the display dial.

Once you see a clear dial you full cone has been exposed to open water. If you ocasionally still see them ghost signals, it is caused by the sound signal "ringing" in the hole against the sides of the ice, you are still a bit too shallow.

This will allow for the proper cone readings yet keep the tangling of the cable to a minimum.

(Side Note)- Occasionally wipe the surface of the transducer to clean it of bubbles, plankton, fish oils, or lake scum. Even a slight build up will diminish the target separation and hinder fish detection, just use a soft glove or your sleeve, nothing very abrasive. Tiny bubbles can really cause wacky "ghost" signals that mess up you gain setting.
------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-05-2003).]