• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So I heard that Lake Delton near the Dells completely drained in 2009. If this is true, how will the fishing be this summer? I'm staying on that lake for a week this summer and am wondering if it will be worth bringing the boat or should I just leave it home. I can't imagine a lake be worth fishing only two years after a complete drainage. Will Delton be worth fishing for bass, northers, and panfish this summer or should I look to other lakes in the area? If so, I'm open to suggestions! Thanks for the insight!

It is true that a late summer flood a couple years ago caused one side of the lake to blow out and it drained. It has since been fixed(the shoreline), refilled, and restocked. I am however unaware of what type of fishing exists yet. I am sure some adult fish where put in to start everything out again along with plenty of fry and fingerlings but it might be tough going yet. Someone may know better than I that has been closer to the Dells or has tried out the area lately.

From the Wisc. DNR in 2009...for what it's worth...Sounds like numbers are there, but size is lacking.

UPDATED Thursday, November 19, 2009 --- 7:15 a.m

LAKE DELTON, Wis. (AP) -- State fishing experts say restocking on Lake Delton is working well so far.

Department of Natural Resources workers boom-shocked the lake in September. They sent an electric current through the lake that momentarily stunned the fish, causing them to float to the surface so workers could measure them.

Scot Stewart, a DNR fisheries supervisor, says fish were everywhere. He says walleye in the lake now average almost 10 inches long.

He says walleye and bass should reach their legal size limits by fall of 2011.

Lake Delton drained away into the Wisconsin River in 2008 after torrential rains eroded a section of shoreline. The DNR began to refill the lake in December 2008. Restocking efforts began this past spring.

We did OK, bunch of smaller eyes and bass but we did keep 5 keeper eyes for the pan. Nothing to brag about. I would recommend not taking your boat up. Maybe in a few year when they had a chance to mature.

We stop by a dam near there(no idea what its called and it was a last minute decision) and caught 3 brownback over 4#. It was a good ending to great weekend.

That is not bad to get 5 keeper eyes on a lake that is still getting back to what it used to be..I assume they were just 15"? interesting, but I think the DNR should keep this lake a catch and release lake for at least 1 or 2 more years. This will help with the size and the population!

Anyone hit this lake in the last few years? Heading down 2nd week of June and staying at a place on the east side. No boat just shore fishing around the place. Mostly to do touristy things but hope to wet a line a time or two. Bringing bass gear since no boat and I hate rock carp anyway.