• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snaps and Snap swivels

Question

I'm a casual fisherman, mostly from shore, and almost always with my kids. Am always changing lures and find it so much easier to use snaps and snap swivels rather than tying new knots. I know that this is isn't always the best idea but can never remember which setups work OK with snaps and which ones don't. I use just about everything, jigs, crankbaits, plastics, spinnerbaits- use spinners and snelled hooks for live bait. Could someone give me some simple rules of thumb on when to use them. I probably use them more than I should, especially one those April mornings crappie fishing with frozen fingers. Thanks

1 answer to this question

For summer fishing, I keep snaps on my bait casters and one of my heavier spinning rods. On those rods I use crank baits or trolling rigs with bottom bouncers and spinners and such. Snaps can be used for things like moss bosses, mepps and the like that would most generally be combined with a steel leader line as well.
When it comes to top water baits and floating rigs or jig and bobber setups, I always tie directly. I want the jig to float about naturally, which I do not think the snap allows you to do.
Most of my summer crappie rigs and such are just lighter tackle, cheaper line, less expensive setups, so I can have 4 or so of these ready with diffent styles and colors on them for the situation.

Honestly, if it has been working for you, don't over think it. If your lighter rigs for bobber fishing have small snaps and swivels that are free and working well, you will prolly be just fine. If it is not working, then try tying direct and see if you get better results.

Hope that helps!
Jeremy

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!