• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will I look like a big dork...(Ice Safety)

Swill

Question

Ok we all want to be safe on the ice and not look stupid. Has anyone seen those floation suits? I ran across a couple sites where the were selling them because I am looking for some ice fishing bibs and they seem pretty cool. They prevent hypothermia by trapping the water next to your body so it heats up and plus they float. Does anyone have one? They look like those suits the coast guard wears or like those suits crab fishermen were ottta Alaska...

Trying not to look like a big dork..Swill

24 answers to this question

Swill

I've thought about the same thing when carrying a set of ice spikes (well - dangling from my coat sleeves). I guess it comes down to "dead" or "dork"? I think I'd prefer "dork" - and if anyone gave me any flack about it - tell them so.

But no one has.

UG

FYI - a life jacket from your boat is real handy at first ice for that same reason.

I haven't seen what these look like. But at work and at home I am refered to as "Captain Safety"

I'd rather look like a dork on the ice (I probably do anyway) than look like a dork in a coffin.

With all the people that have gone through this year it can't be a bad idea especially if you use a 4-wheeler or sled out there.

Here are some links to what I have found...still not sure if I want to get one..they are expensive!
I wonder if Cabelas's has any?
http://www.sportsmansoutlet.com/regatta.html
or
http://www.wickfordangling.co.uk/product_sundridge_combination_floatation.htm

Just type in floatation & suite in the goodle search area....

Still I dont' know.....

1) No you won't look like a dork. They look just like a regular set of coveralls. I'd go for the black one though, or folks will accuse you of being a Cheesehead! (Just kidding, I'm a WI native)

2) The Mustang Survival suits are awesome. We wore them when I was doing winter fisheries research on the Missouri R. and they are incredibly warm. We'd be running up the river in an open boat at close to 40 mph, and I never got cold, even with only jeans and a sweatshirt on underneath. They have closed-cell foam for floatation, which provides excellent insulation. They also block the wind very, very well. They are spendy, but for warmth and safety, if you're serious about one, it's a good investment that I don't think you'd regret. They'd be great for those late/early season open water trips too, and you wouldn't have to worry about wearing a life jacket.

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

Matt, I have thought about getting one for open water fishing spring and fall, Are they rainproof too to keep you dry on wavy or rainy days? Or would I still have to wear rain gear over it?
I think they would be to warm for ice fishing, all that walking you would work up such a sweat that you would almost be happy to fall in just to cool off.

Set the hook!

>< )))("< ---><!>

Dork or dead ? I'll take dork. The dork look comes natural to me anyways ! LOL

Just corious but do these suits breath ? I know from wearing some rain suits open water fishing they ( some rain suits ) retain persperation = chilly at times.

Geeman, I have never used one, but I am guessing they don't breath too well, but mabye they will keep you breathing if ya fall in hehe. Since they are desined to keep you warm immersed in cold water, I doubt you would get cold from getting slightly damp from sweat.
What is a dork anyways?
If it just means somone who looks goofy, then I only have the choice of living dork or dead dork tongue.gif

Fish Ooon!

><}}}("< ---><!>

Swill -
Some good common sense comments about the whole "dork" thing here. If people think you look like a dork because you're trying to play it safe, they're the ones that have the problem - not you!
By brother went through with a 4 wheeler a few years ago and was wearing a leather snowmobile suit at the time. That held off the hypothermia for a while, but he had his ice spikes in a bucket strapped on the back and couldn't get back on the ice. Fortunately somebody was riding a few hundred yards behind him and was able to pull him out. I nearly lost my best fishing buddy in that episode.
So I'd get and wear a suit if it is at all risky and make sure you have the spikes in a position where you can use them, go with somebody else - whatever it takes to make sure you come back so we can fish with you tomorrow!

Speaking as a Dork, and dam proud of it. Only a fool is too cool to not look at safety first.

The Mustang suit is the guides suit of choice in Canada, they save a lot of lives.

Heley Hansen also makes very good survival suits that are a bit better looking then the convict coloured Mustang suit. That's if you wish to be style'n and smile'n when your bobbing around in the COLD water?

These suits are not cheap, far from it. Yet they do offer far greater safety as well as very good thermal protection in serious cold. They are the best protection against hypothermia on the market, short of a arctic weight neoprene diving suit.

I would suspect only one instance where you needed the suit, and had it on, would quickly convince you that you were far less the DORK then you previously thought..EH.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-05-2003).]

I am thinking of getting one for fishing rough water during the cold water season. I have a 14 ft boat, that handles big waves quite well, but I am afraid to get too far away from shore when the waters below 50 degees because I know if I capize way out and no one sees me, I could be a dead man. I am thinking one of these suits would solve that problem. I am a good swimmer, so if this suit would keep me warm in the water, I could swim to shore on just about any lake. Or I could just bob around til someone finds me. (hopefully before the lake freezes! smile.gif )
That is the purpose of the orange colr I think, to be easier to see in the water.

><}}}("< ---><!>

There is a new kid on the immersion suit block. Wiggy's has a good suit for $300.00. Very light weight and non-constricting. I have heard that you can't swim in a Mustang suit, to confining. You won't sweat like a hog when you have to drag your portable a mile or three. It will keep you afloat and warm if you fall through the ice. They are also custom tailored
I fish comfortably in the open with Wiggy's fish net long underwear, Levi jeans with long sleeve flanel shirt and Wiggy's immersion suit.
No, I am not a Wiggy's salesman. That Lamelite insulation is a wonder. It just works super.

There is a new kid on the immersion suit block. Wiggy's has a good suit for $300.00. Very light weight and non-constricting. I have heard that you can't swim in a Mustang suit, to confining. You won't sweat like a hog when you have to drag your portable a mile or three. It will keep you afloat and warm if you fall through the ice. They are also custom tailored
I fish comfortably in the open with Wiggy's fish net long underwear, Levi jeans with long sleeve flanel shirt and Wiggy's immersion suit.
No, I am not a Wiggy's salesman. That Lamelite insulation is a wonder. It just works super.

Esox, thanks for the info, I am going to check it out. I hope they have a HSOforum.
One thing I disagree with though. Who did you hear from that one cannot swim in a mustang suit. I bet I can swim across any medium sized lake in the state while wearing one.

Set the hook!

><}}})"< ---><!>

I'll be the advocate here, If i saw you out on the ice wearing one of those blaze orange suits,....I'd say you looked like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly. For the person that goes out by themselves,....they would work well. But if you're with someone, A throwable and some rope would suffice. You'd look like a pumpkin with limbs floppin around in the water with that dork suit on. Just bein honest.

Esoxulcius...Where did you buy that Wiggy's suit at? Do they have a web site?

Does anyone know if they make these suits with a removable liner? That way when the temp is around 50 or so a guy would not sweat too bad....

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!!!