• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is your favorite way to catch walleyes?

Veritical jigging I'm a rookie but I'm starting with this presentation I'm also planing on trolling crawler harness and fishing with lighted bobbers at night is a blast....heck if all I had was a hook, worm and a good ol' red and white bobber I'd be happy if I was fishing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A plain jig, or jig and minnow combo....nah, I guess a leech/minnow on a slip bobber....nah, fishing em on the bottom in the river with a minnow....nah, trolling....nah...drifting...You know, I guess my favorite way of catching walleyes is any way I can get em!

There's nothing like sitting in 15 fow over a rockpile in late June and watching your lighted slip bobber slowly go under (half hour after sunset - 70 degrees)... I could go for some of that about now. F'n longest winter ever.

My best way is, however my Daughter's or anyone new to fishing that's in the boat is catching them. To know the knowledge I gave them (a lot of it from here, thanks everyone) has payed off. To see the look on they're face when the fish is finally in the boat is priceless. Knowing that another generation is into the outdoors is great.

Another is, hearing one of my daughters say "Lets go over here and try this because I think this will work" and it does, is something in itself. Knowing they've been paying attention to what I've told them even when I think their not.

I guess the very best for me is when we (my daughters and I) all study a new lake, go there, and put a little waiger on who will figure out the bite first. Most often I loose, cause they can all fish very well, and I'm out numbers 4 to 1. Not that great of odds, guess who's doing dishes!!

Well first, you gotta be out fishing all day in the sun. Attempting everything. (For me i'll use spinners, bottom bouncers, shads, smithwicks, jigs. <minnows n leech. usually never crawlers>.) But none of this is as fun as about 730-8 on a perfect evening. Everyone knows what kind of evening. with a beautiful sunset over the huge tree line across the calm glassy water, echos across the lake of other campers and weekenders. Campfire started, cold beer, friends and family. and tossin out my favorite method. Slip Bobber with a jig n minnow. Easy and relaxing. Just come check it now and a lot of times theres one on. Works best in spring when walleyes go up and down the shoreline in the evenings

My favorite is on opening weekend, in the dead of night with a lighted bobber. Then watching the bobber go under the water, waiting to set the hook and landing the first walleye of the season. Man, I can not wait!!!!

from when i was a kid to now [older kid]. watching that bobber go down matches the excitement of a flag going up on hard water. all time favorite however is the good ol jig and minnow or leach or half crawler. feeling that "thump" on the drop and then the fish slowly pump on your rod is a feeling only people that have fishing in their blood can appreciate. good luck.

You know whats fun to try. Red lake usually around opener in 4 to 6 feet of water slip bobbering with the bobber out there a ways. Its fun trying to set the hook doing that. I'm looking forward to that.

Reinhard,

The next two weeks are going to go by awful S L O W L Y after reading your post. Those are my two favorite methods also, esp. the bobber. I enjoy your posts.

Have a great season!

Hope we all see disappearing bobbers 2 weeks from today!

I personally love drifting crawlers rigs over rocks at 8-15 feet in LOW (gold/red). Tap tap - HOOK SET! Caught my personal best doing this. I don't have a boat so I do not get a chance to do this much but man, I love fishing!

full-33703-8287-walley29.jpg