• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Removing a reel seat

Question

One of my winter projects is to convert an old fiberglass fly rod into a spinning rod. I gently cut off the old cork grip, but now I can't get the reel seat off. Anybody got a clue? Factors -
-The glue smelled like model cement when I ground off the burrs on the butt.
-I've tried denatured alcohol
-I've tried denatured alcohol & a heat gun
-I've tried driving it towards the taper with a socket as a 'punch'
-the reel seat is aluminum

Is there a solvent that cuts this cement? It's a 20-40 year old Shakespeare fiberglass 9'-0" rod. It's a 3-piece, so it's hollow.

Thanks ya'll

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

7 answers to this question

Acetone works well to dissolve epoxies and superglue, Im pretty sure it is marketed as an epoxy thinner. It will take some time to soak, maybe a couple-three days or more. It will evaporate quickly so make sure to keep it covered, maybe use a gallon size milk jug with a hole in the lid that fits snug to the rod blank.

RESULTS -
The acetone for 24 hours softened the epoxy enough for me to 'punch' it down towards the taper with a deep-well socket. The fiberglass did not delaminate.

I tried the same with a plastic reel seat, and the plastic melted.

Thanks ya'll!

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC