• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How often do you respool super-lines (i.e. fireline)?

Mankato-Ice-Man

Question

When I summer fished hard, I respooled my mono lines every season, and the one rod I used more then all of them combined I respooled several times.
My mono jig sticks and rods and reels for ice fishing get respooled every other year, sooner if needed.

My question is:
How often does fireline or the other super lines need to be respooled? The do not stretch or get nicked up and they never break, so length should not be an issue. Will this line rot on a reel after a while?

What have you folks done as far as how long you keep this line on your reels?

Thanks in advance.
Jeremy

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

7 answers to this question

I've never respooled any superline I've had (other than that Fusion junk which got replaced!). The biggest problem with mono is that UV causes it to weaken and become brittle. I've respooled year-old brittle mono with good stuff that been in a box in the dark for several years. To my knowledge, supurlines do not suffer the same effects from UV and have never seen any evidence on my reels that they do. Nicks and abraisions are another matter, and if you've lost more line off your spool from these and snags/knot tying/etc. than you'd like, then respool. Otherwise, I don't see any need to.

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

I get full use from super-braids by back-spooling them off onto another reel once the used section gets some wear.

Most of your wear is on the first 30-40 yards of line, after that most of it never see's the water much, or much wear.

By back-spooling the line onto another reel you get to use the unused line, that is like new yet at the bottom of the spool.

Once the re-spooled super-braid get soft and starts to fray, I pull it off and put new on.

Another tip, don't spool 300 yard of super-braid up on a reel if you only are likely to use 100 yards. Fill 1/2 to 2/3 of the spool with mono(or blank fill the 1/2 to 2/3 of the spool with electrical take), then add the braid of your choice. This limits unnecessarily waisting line that is more costly per foot then mono.

New Product tip- (The new Power-Pro 8/1 is a great product if your looking for a new super-braid. I love it for ice fishing! They also have a new 15/4 that I suspect will be hot for trolling and jigging applications.)

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-03-2003).]

Gander Mountain in Burnsville has some 8/1 Power Pro... pick up some last night! Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

I agree with Ed... backspooling is the way to go.

------------------
-FNC

"Hell froze over last week... glad I brought the Vex"

Thanks guys. That is what I was thinking, but wanted to find out now instead of when I had that 11 pound walleye (in my dreams) on the other end and hear *snap*.
The back spooling idea sounds great!
Looked for the PowerPro line tonight to try on a new 5 ball bearing reel that Scheels had on sale tonight, but nobody in Mankato has it. Might check Fleet Farm in Lakeville Sunday if I don't sneak out fishing instead.

Nice of the Vikings to not make the playoffs this year and allow us to get out on the weekends with out lugging a TV or radio with... Lord knows I take enough stuff with already!

Thanks again for all the great replies.

Jeremy

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

I'll third the PowerPro. I put heavier stuff on my Ambassadeurs for big fish last year and love it. I'll be putting some of the lighter stuff on my spinning reels as the mono needs replacing.