Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Mankato-Ice-Man

How often do you respool super-lines (i.e. fireline)?

When I summer fished hard, I respooled my mono lines every season, and the one rod I used more then all of them combined I respooled several times.
My mono jig sticks and rods and reels for ice fishing get respooled every other year, sooner if needed.

My question is:
How often does fireline or the other super lines need to be respooled? The do not stretch or get nicked up and they never break, so length should not be an issue. Will this line rot on a reel after a while?

What have you folks done as far as how long you keep this line on your reels?

Thanks in advance.
Jeremy

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

I've never respooled any superline I've had (other than that Fusion junk which got replaced!). The biggest problem with mono is that UV causes it to weaken and become brittle. I've respooled year-old brittle mono with good stuff that been in a box in the dark for several years. To my knowledge, supurlines do not suffer the same effects from UV and have never seen any evidence on my reels that they do. Nicks and abraisions are another matter, and if you've lost more line off your spool from these and snags/knot tying/etc. than you'd like, then respool. Otherwise, I don't see any need to.

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

I get full use from super-braids by back-spooling them off onto another reel once the used section gets some wear.

Most of your wear is on the first 30-40 yards of line, after that most of it never see's the water much, or much wear.

By back-spooling the line onto another reel you get to use the unused line, that is like new yet at the bottom of the spool.

Once the re-spooled super-braid get soft and starts to fray, I pull it off and put new on.

Another tip, don't spool 300 yard of super-braid up on a reel if you only are likely to use 100 yards. Fill 1/2 to 2/3 of the spool with mono(or blank fill the 1/2 to 2/3 of the spool with electrical take), then add the braid of your choice. This limits unnecessarily waisting line that is more costly per foot then mono.

New Product tip- (The new Power-Pro 8/1 is a great product if your looking for a new super-braid. I love it for ice fishing! They also have a new 15/4 that I suspect will be hot for trolling and jigging applications.)

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

backwtr1@msn.com

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-03-2003).]

Gander Mountain in Burnsville has some 8/1 Power Pro... pick up some last night! Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

I agree with Ed... backspooling is the way to go.

------------------
-FNC

"Hell froze over last week... glad I brought the Vex"

Thanks guys. That is what I was thinking, but wanted to find out now instead of when I had that 11 pound walleye (in my dreams) on the other end and hear *snap*.
The back spooling idea sounds great!
Looked for the PowerPro line tonight to try on a new 5 ball bearing reel that Scheels had on sale tonight, but nobody in Mankato has it. Might check Fleet Farm in Lakeville Sunday if I don't sneak out fishing instead.

Nice of the Vikings to not make the playoffs this year and allow us to get out on the weekends with out lugging a TV or radio with... Lord knows I take enough stuff with already!

Thanks again for all the great replies.

Jeremy

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

I'll third the PowerPro. I put heavier stuff on my Ambassadeurs for big fish last year and love it. I'll be putting some of the lighter stuff on my spinning reels as the mono needs replacing.

Great tips on the superlines BackwaterEddy!!
I too love the PowerPro. I've used several of their lines and haven't been disappointed yet.