• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polarized Sun glasses

fishhuntwork

I'm in the market for a new pair of polarized sunglasses for open water fishing and everyday use. I have a cheap $30 pair right now and I'm to purchase a new pair. Anyone have any expeirence with the Oakleys or maui Jims?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had different variations of Oakleys pretty much forever, and have always liked them. I think it boils down to how much you want to spend. Pick a pair that fits your face, looks good on and off the water, and fits into your budget. One nice thing about the Oakleys, such as the Gascan, the lens are replaceable if they scratch. (I have the Gascan and Monster Dog), both of them are good for blocking out light, fit well, and have good vision into the water.

I have never owned Maui Jims or Costa Del Mars, but have heard great things about them as well.

I am a big fan of the Costas. I recently bought a new pair and the Cabelas brand at the same time. The first thing you notice when they are side by side is the weight difference between the Cabelas brand and the Costas. The overall construction is better and the lenses are far superior with the Costas. I have also owned a few pairs of Maui Jims and while the lenses do a decent job on the water they aren't near as scratch resistant as the Costas. I did like the lighter weight of the Maui jims but whenever I am hitting the water my Costas are the go to glasses I reach for. I haven't ever tried the Oakleys so I am no help there.

Tunrevir~

I've got two pair of Oakleys and like them, the wife has a pair of Ray Bans and Costas and likes them too. If you take care of your stuff they will last forever which is way cheaper than purchasing 2 $20 pair of glasses every year.

There are arguments that the Costa's are a better lense than the Oakleys. I can't see it so IMO get the ones that fit you best. Go to Sunglasses Hut and try a bunch on, then if you want to you can custom order your frame and lense color from each companys HSOforum to get exactly what you want. If you wear corrective lenses you can do that in both Costas and Oakleys as well.

I've had Costas for years...got into them when I saw how many of the charter guys down in Cabo wear them...I've broken a pair twice, and spent 75 bucks each time getting them fixed/lens replaced. I'm pretty careful with them now. I think they are easily the best sunglasses around, and my eyes are worth it.

I also am an Oakley fan. I've had many different types of Oakleys and can say that I've never been disappointed. It's nice being able to swap out a set of lens when you scratch them. I guess I've always just bought what fits well and looks good.

Does Oakley have a warranty like the Costas?

Oakley is one year, but that does not cover scratches. I have owned Oakleys since 1989 (Frogskins) and they used to be very cool about repairing or replacing what was scratched or broke. Not anymore. I bought some Livestrong Lance Armstrong Flaks and they have been the worst pair of sunglasses I have ever owned as far as scratches. Oakley will not do anything for me. That was my last pair I will ever own. In Vegas last month, I stepped out of my hotel and sun was so bright I couldn't see anything. I went to a Sunglasses Hut at the mall and the guy there talked me into Maui Jim Makahas. 2 year, no questions asked warranty. No extra cost for Polarized- ALL Maui Jims are Polarized. Oakley bumps the price of their Polarized lenses $20 and up.

Oakley is one year, but that does not cover scratches....Oakley will not do anything for me. That was my last pair I will ever own....I went to a Sunglasses Hut at the mall and the guy there talked me into Maui Jim Makahas. 2 year, no questions asked warranty.

I get mine from target or walmart for ~$15. I lose too many to spend more than that on 'em.

Same here...Every summer I get a few pairs from Wally world... Berkleys are fine for me. 5-10 bucks a pair. And I usually sit on them, drop them in the lake, or lose them. So that works fin eby me.

nothing like another cheap glasss vs. good glasses thread:)

All I can say to you guys that favor cheap sunglasses...

you don't know what you're missing:)

+1

It's like high def vs standard def TV. Once you've had high def it's almost painful to watch without. I currently own Maui Jim and Wiley X. The Maui's are very lightweight but both do a great job of blocking light and allowing me to see into the water. Like others have said, try a bunch out and pick the one that fits you best.

Maui Jim will replace your glasses......at a charge. I think it's $75. I'm pretty sure they are not losing any money on that deal so it probably tells you that is about what their cost is (or even less).

I'll stick with the 9.99 specials. They last a couple of years and I can buy a lot of them for the same $300 I paid for my Maui Jims, which by the way are sitting at the bottom of the MN river. smirk

I'll stick with the 9.99 specials. They last a couple of years and I can buy a lot of them for the same $300 I paid for my Maui Jims, which by the way are sitting at the bottom of the MN river. smirk

I caught a big flathead that was wearing them last year.

There is a sturgeon in the croix with a pair of $160 Oakleys on.