• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Headed to college

I think the hunting and fishing opportunities are very good in the Brookings area. Certainly not the best in the state, but youre within couple hours drinve from fantasstic pheasant hunting and only a few minutes to exceptional fishing opportunities.

SDSU has a fishing club that is very active on the local scene, so I would sugggest looking them up.

SDSU is a great school, particularly if youre a sportsman.

They also have a game cleaning station right on campus.

Plus, you get to buy a resident license for 4 years.

lots of smaller bodies of water in all directions, put your time in and you will figure them out. Missouri River is not far to the west, glacial lakes not much further to the north of you and plenty of public land for you to utilize for hunting.

If I could work at the same job in brookings that I have in Sioux Falls I would easily rather be in the brookings area.

Grew up in brookings and went to SDSU. A decent number of good fishing opportunities nearby. With the recent high water returning to many area lakes I would expect another mini-boom of good fishing in the area.

Bring your waders. One of the best things in eastern SD is wading for spring time walleyes.

Bring your waders. One of the best things in eastern SD is wading for spring time walleyes.

This is a priceless piece of advice! If you don't have them, I would suggest buying a pair. Whenever I come to visit, I make sure to pack my waders. There are always great shore-fishing opportunities in those shallow prairie lakes. I know quite a few locals that own boats and still prefer wader fishing over boat fishing in the spring.

Thanks for the advice guys. i am a pretty avid bowhunter and fisherman also whats the deer hunting like around there? also i have never shot a pheasent yet.

I got my waders but what do you guys mean wade for walleyes?

thanks

I went to college at SDSU in Brookings. There are alot of little pieces of public land south of town on the Big Sioux River that can be bow hunted pretty easy. Just be prepared to run into a few people, since alot of college kids hunt public land around there. As for wading for walleyes, they mean in the spring when the walleyes are spawning up shallows. Casting jigs with minnows is an awesome way to catch these fish. If you wade in about knee/waist deep you can cast out a little further and catch them from shore.

Yea get involved with the fishing club I am the current president, and alot of knowhow in the meetings. I have one more year left at SDSU and i would say be prepared to make some good friends that are also interested in the outdoors, also if your willing to put on alot of miles and spend some nights in run down hotels you can get into some phenomanal hunting, i do west river trips every fall for antelope and deer as well as hunt wterfowl and pheasants, fishing is awesome as well around brookings and to the north.

You will have to have a college address to apply for resident tags, if you want a bow tag they are over the counter and thier is no draw so you can buy them whenever you want. As far as rifle tags if you know where you want to go i would jsut buck up pay the non res money the first year then pay resident prices for years after that.