• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What should my FIRST used Motercycle be

brad coin

looking to add a cycle to my life for the commute to work and around town,95% on city streets,,,I would have to use it for less thn a mile on 169 across river no alternate route

never owned one,never drivin one

Im 6'3 230 lbs

what makes,models, size,features etc should I look for

can you get a decent older dependable bike in the $2000-$3000 range??

That's kind of a loaded question. What style of bike piques your interest the most? Cruiser? Roadster? Crotch Rocket? Sport Tourer? Dual Sport?

Based solely on your comment of 95% on city streets, I would say a Dual Sport such as an XR 650, DS 650 or KLR 650. But that also depends on your commute distance. Dual Sport also gives the "safest bet" if there was a need to hit some gravel along the way on your travels.

lep

honestly Im drivin by gas prices in this decision plus the option of having a second transportation cant afford two cars or trucks,,I mountain biked to work last year and loved it but my commute has a alot of UP hill which gets old

basicly want something that gets from A-B easy,, has stable has can be ride wise,,,no performance just dependability,,sounds like a scooter need but I need a little more then that

crotch rocket is out

not looking to go for any long rides just to work,mall,movie theatre etc during warm weather months plus I like the open air of the mountain bike but without the pedal'ing

Anything in the 650-750 range would fit the bill and get up to 50+mpg. I listed a few dual sports in my previous post. If you'd be interested in more of a cruiser style with a lower seat height and easy to handle, something like a Honda Shadow would be a perfect fit.

You're actually smaller than a coworker of mine who has a Honda Shadow 650. He's about 6'1" and tips the scales at about 400 lbs.

Man not to be a jerk but how much gas money is your life worth? I swear every time the prices go up guys like you get killed. I have been riding motorcycle for over 30 years and wont even ride in the metro anymore...way too many distracted drivers and idiots out there now. god I cant imagine being a newbie and doing it. Your comment of highway 169 not avoidable and "first bike" makes my hair stand on end. My advise is get something like a scooter or moped and stick to the bike path areas for now and if you really want a motorcycle buy it just to get out in the less populated areas and get some miles under your belt so you can realize just how vulnerable you are on a bike. Dont think "I will wear a helmet and be safe" a lot of the bike/car accidents it doesn't matter if you have 3 helmets on the results are the same.

Anything in the 650-750 range would fit the bill and get up to 50+mpg. I listed a few dual sports in my previous post. If you'd be interested in more of a cruiser style with a lower seat height and easy to handle, something like a Honda Shadow would be a perfect fit.

You're actually smaller than a coworker of mine who has a Honda Shadow 650. He's about 6'1" and tips the scales at about 400 lbs.

They are nice for mileage. My fuel injected 1500 Suzuki gets from 41-43 mpg.

I think one of the smaller shadows would make a great bike as well for his purposes.

Man not to be a jerk but how much gas money is your life worth? I swear every time the prices go up guys like you get killed. I have been riding motorcycle for over 30 years and wont even ride in the metro anymore...way too many distracted drivers and idiots out there now. god I cant imagine being a newbie and doing it. Your comment of highway 169 not avoidable and "first bike" makes my hair stand on end. My advise is get something like a scooter or moped and stick to the bike path areas for now and if you really want a motorcycle buy it just to get out in the less populated areas and get some miles under your belt so you can realize just how vulnerable you are on a bike. Dont think "I will wear a helmet and be safe" a lot of the bike/car accidents it doesn't matter if you have 3 helmets on the results are the same.

Very valid points. In Brad's defense, he's atleast showing an interest in learning and I'd have to believe he's not just going to hop on and hit the road.

This will do just what your looking for. You can hit 70mph, get about 65mpg go on tar or dirt road for a little weekend fun! wink The XT225 or XT250 is one of the best selling bikes out there and you can get them on the "List" site for around the price you have stated. I've driven mine to work and all the way to the camper in Brainard and back without a issue! wink

full-27051-6298-img_0472a.jpg

kawasaki klr 650 good mileage can keep up well in traffic 85 no problem can get a used one cheap i give 1750 for mine 4 years ago with 4800 miles on it , forget about buying a honda xr 650 used for less than 3500 the only way to get it cheaper would be if its shot or the dudes in financial trouble they hold there value ive been lookin for 6 years they hold their value and its for a reason .

kawasaki klr 650 good mileage can keep up well in traffic 85 no problem can get a used one cheap i give 1750 for mine 4 years ago with 4800 miles on it , forget about buying a honda xr 650 used for less than 3500 the only way to get it cheaper would be if its shot or the dudes in financial trouble they hold there value ive been lookin for 6 years they hold their value and its for a reason .

Those are nice bikes but you have to have some dang long legs to ride them! I looked at an XR650 and just could not touch when I pulled up to a stop! cry But, it looks like Brad is 6-3" he said so that shouldn't be an issue for him. wink

My vote would be for an early to mid '80s maxim or magna or any similar bike from all of the other manufactures. Way under your price range, easy to work on, (if they every break, and that is a big if!),and great gas mileage. A good friend of mine has one for the exact reason you want one, and it has served him well.

As for riding in the city, yeah it can be dangerous, so can waking up in the morning. Be vigilant, drive defensively, and take the rider safety course put on by the state. Good luck.

I'm going to up the ante and say a 800cc. Enough power to get you out of(and into) trouble. Definitely low stand over height and a cruiser platform @least.

You can find a good bike in that price range, won't be new and bring a buddy along that is bike savy to help you look it over.

do yourself a favor and spend the additional $$ on a really good helmet, buy some durable riding attire and definitely take a motorcycle safety/riding class.

Seriously a man your size and the use you stated a good used Honda Shadow 1100 or a good used Harley Sportster 883. Do not go smaller you will be sorry if you do. Suggest you take a motorcycle riding course and get your license at the same time never hurts to learn the right way to ride and get some needed experience.

Just finished a Motorcycle Safety Course. Worth every penny of the entry fee and time. Learned a lot about riding a bike in the proper manner. The guys were great coaches. A lot of good feedback, and pretty darn patient.

Nice upnorth!

Quote:
I have been riding motorcycle for over 30 years and wont even ride in the metro anymore...way too many distracted drivers and idiots out there now.

I couldn't agree more with your assement. I do ride the metro though often. The amount of drivers on the road now a days is just crazy to say the least, throw in the texting aspect and it's very dangerous and to compare it to walking down the street is just ridiculously absurd to say the least.

We have another one "2nd this season" of our club riders in the hospital with multiple broken bones because of someone not paying attention.

Quite often I have people "newbies" tell me they want to get into riding and I almost always try to steer them away from the sport. Sad I know but seeing what I See out there now A days I feel pretty good about it.

Riding the metro is definitely a hair raising experience. Most of the time I get into the SW Metro and that's bad enough.

I always make sure I'm in line of sight of the mirrors and spend little time as possible in the blind spots. Even then it's not enough. You always have to be on the defensive side of things.

If you're just doing it to save gas money. Don't. How much are you really going to save? You say you aren't driving very far. Lets exaggerate and say 20 miles per day. You probably won't drive one day a week because of weather, (3 days a week so far this year), but lets ignore that. So 100 miles a week. 16 weeks or so. Yeah, maybe 20, but with the weather, and 20 miles pushing it, 16 is fair. So 1600 miles this summer on your bike instead of your vehicle, commuting to work. If you were getting 15/20 with your other vehicle and 35/40 with the bike, we're talking about 40 gallons instead of 80-100. So lets say you're saving 50 gallons or about $200. You'll chew that up in insurance premiums alone.

So don't kid yourself about saving gas money. However, it that's what it takes to talk your naive wife into the purchase, by all means, carry-on.

However, I saw two different vehicles getting loaded onto a flat bed, not a mile apart yesterday in stillwater on 36, and another today, off lake elmo ave and 36. All of them had been rear-ended. My guess is someone on their cellphone not paying attention. If you get rear ended on your motorcycle, you'll be lucky to walk away. Someone side swipes you in your car, you have a little visit to the autobody shop, and it never happened. Someone side swipes your motorcycle, and you have a prosthetic for the rest of your life.

I absolutely love riding a motorcycle. I've never been in an accident. I've never laid one down. But I feel like i'm on borrowed time, and have greatly reduced my time on them. No way in hell I'd make it part of my daily commute. If your kids are not fully grown, pass. Just about every motorcycle rider knows a story they don't like to tell. There's a reason for that.

IF you're DEAD set on getting one, then get yourself an enduro, and go ride in the dirt for several weekends. Get used to shifting, breaking, wiping out, where you're just going to get a little rash or bruise. When we were kids we took our dirt bikes out on the wet grass, and intentionally laid them down. It was fun, we'd slide quite a ways, and it didn't hurt. But all those hours in the dirt, and on trails, made me way more comfortable driving on the street.

Tousley used to be on the other side of 61. I'll never forget the salesperson telling me a story about some guy buying his first bike, riding it across the street, and hitting a tree, and he was toast. He didn't make it 5 minutes on his bike. Don't be that guy. Take the motorcycle training course, and get yourself a dirt bike to play with this year. Then upgrade.

I loved my 1982 CB 900 custom. It was small enough for around town, and rather sexy IMO, but big enough to go touring too. I'm 6'1, 215. It was perfect. I had an 81 cx500 before that. It was a nice beginner street bike, but wasn't really big enough for the long overtheroad trips, although I did drive it all the way to Tallahassee when I went to FSU.

Best of luck to you, and stay off the streets each spring, until the street sweepers get the sand off the street. Some of those corners can be treacherous.

I live up north where there is not a lot of traffic to deal with, so the real paranoia factor is subdued, I don't think I would consider learning to ride down in the metro.

Knowing what I know today, I don't think I would have went the route I went. I bought my bike before I took the rider safety course. What did I buy? I have a 2001 1100 V Star Classic, yes it is a very nice bike and I will continue to learn using it. But it is a big, heavy bike and a lot more power than someone learning needs. I have found I need to be very conscious of throttle, doesn't take much of a twist and there is a lot of power at hand. If I was starting this process again I would be looking for something under 650cc and a bit smaller and lighter. It would be a lot easier to learn if I didn't have to deal with 600+ pound bike with that much power. I can't imagine what it would be like on a sport bike.

I have to agree with upnorth, for a beginner I would never recomend anything over a 650 to learn on. It has plenty of power (especially for the metro) and is nice and light.

Honestly if your certain you want a bike, I would recomend buying one, taking the safety course, leaving it at a friends house outside the metro and riding on your free time on low traffic back roads until you get used to it.

Do yourself and your family a favor and don't ride in the metro until you have atleast a couple years experience first, people there are just flat out ignorant for the most part and they will never notice you there until they hit you like a speed bump.

Now on a side note, riding is a blast and quite relaxing but don't rush take your time and enjoy yourself instead.

oh and I also agree with the duel sport suggestion. They are super light and manuverable not to mention you can jump on and head off road fishing if you wanted smile