• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any recent reports from Poinsett lately? I am heading up Friday hopefully in time for the night bite.

What are the snow conditions on the lake, and will I be able to get around on my atv?

Any bad ice spots or heaves? Sadly this will be the first time I punch a hole in the ice this year.... blush

You can catch pike just about anywhere in the lake. Perch bite is good one day, not so good the next, they can be difficult to find. I haven't been able to find a good walleye bite out there since early ice, just one here, one there but the size has been good.

My S10 can make it around out there ok so you should be fine with an ATV. There is an ice heave a little ways north of goulds point that heads straight west across the lake. If you want to fish the very north end, the NE access is usable for that, the rest of the lake is accessible from the other access's.

Ice was great and fishing was even better. Lots of guys driving on still but I took my quad. Caught 5 small walleye 12-14inches all still swimming. Caught a bunch of nice fat perch only kept 6. I fished away from the herd and it was steady action from 530pm to about 9pm. Just got off the lake gonna give it another try tomorrow

Had good luck with green macho minnow with minnow head or whole minnow. Also caught a few on wax worms with tungsten jigs and even purple chubby darter tipped with minnow was working great.

Yesterday I had an ok morning on the ice more perch right off the bat with a few dink walleyes mixed in and then bite turned off. Moved around a few times into the afternoon but didn't have any luck.

ice was still plenty thick had a hard time getting through in a few spots. ice is coming out in chunks though so it probably wont be along until it starts going bad

Nice report Rundrave!

Heard this is a nice lake to camp. Thinking about taking the family up there this summer for a weekend to check it out.

I'll have to shoot you an email as the ice begins to peel off. My daughter has been asking me about doing a little fishing this spring/summer.

Steve

Anyone have any reports for Poinsett? I am going to try a little bit of everything between the boat, kayak and shore this weekend.

my kids aren't ready for the boat yet but if I were to try shore fishing is there any places anyone would suggest? doesn't matter what we catch even if its bullheads.

I am headed up this way this weekend. Got a sleeper rented Saturday night. Not my ideal destination but only one I could find on short notice. I will probably run and gun a different lake during the day and settle in at poinsett and hope for something over night. 

I would prefer to catch perch over walleye as it sounds like not many fish being caught over 15". I just need to find the perch and I should be alright.

Weather is shaping up for a perfect weekend and hopefully the fish are biting before storm moves in on Sunday night.

weekend recap from Poinsett is lots of walleye not many over 15" but my son had a blast chasing rattle reels and he iced his first SD keeper walleye.

Fishing was slow during the day on Saturday running around with the portable. You can tell those perch have been pressured hard and they are spooky. Watching them on the camera they are really finicky. Lots of guys clustered up on Goulds point but I avoided the crowds and didnt sound like guys were having much luck over there anyway,

Got setup in the sleeper Saturday evening and caught first walleye about 7:30pm on a UV gold colored rippin rap. It was just short of 15", literally about a 10th of an inch. Caught couple more jigging but nothing steady. Got the rattle reels set up for the evening and it was non stop throughout the night and I didnt sleep much. Few fish in that 14" range but only one over 15". Otherwise lots of 10-12" skinny walleyes. Didnt have a reel go off from 2:30am until about 5:45am though. It was slow until 7:30 and then the fish really took off until about 9am and then it went dead. Lost count keeping track easily over 20 fish iced over night and I missed a lot of bites too. I think they were just small fish mouthing it. I will say my bigger fish came on big 4"+ suckers on a bare red circle hook. The one we got over 15 just nailed it and I lost a couple nice fish trying to get them turned up the hole.

Sunday day bite was slow, few perch and crappie but not many and more dink walleyes. My kid was pretty tired and we didnt stay late as he had school today.

Saranens and prestrude access were both good to drive on and off from. but I could see prestrudes blowing shut again. Lot of snow drifted on that side of the lake. Its piled up and looked like someone had already spent time getting it open. As far as traveling on ice, I got by just fine in 4wheel drive but you can still run into trouble not keeping your momentum in spots. Sure is a rough bumpy ride I cringed watching some of those wheelhouses getting pulled across the ice.

I always get a few big minnows of whatever I can find anytime I am out just to throw them out on something whether its a tip up or rattle reel. I am a firm believer bigger bait equals bigger fish. When your up all night chasing rattle reels Id rather get up for a trophy then something little.

The house we rented used an electric hand drill, they sure are slick and fast. But I would have loved to have had a larger hole when landing some bigger fish. I lost a really nice fish trying to get it turned up a 6" hole. Oh well it happens.