• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gel Cell Batteries

Question

Just returned from a three day fish attack. During the trip, I noticed that one of my two gel cells had much more endurance than the other one did. Once back home, I noticed that one (Portalac) was heavier than the other one which is a "GlobTek." The heavier one is rated at 7.25 amp hours, the lighter one @ 7 AH. I used to think they all were about the same. I guess this is not the case. Anybody else have experience on brands, number of plates (weight difference) and how long they should last?

4 answers to this question

I thought about this a bit before I bought my Vex FL-18. I ended up getting a "Soft Pack" setup from Cabelas because I had over $100 savings in coupons/discounts/club Visa. I did so knowing that they put their package together themselves, rather than sell the Pro-Pack made by Vexilar (a sore spot for Vexilar!). In talking with a salesman from Scheels, I learned that the Vex battery is 7.25 Ah and much better (in his opinion) than either the 7 Ah batteries they or Cabelas have.

Gel cell batteries do differ. One of the most important things is keeping them charged (remember those off-months!). We recently had to trash two very expensive 24V gel cells for our backpack shocker because they were left sitting too long over winter/spring without being put on a charger.

I bought a "Smart-Charge" unit when I bought my Vex to try to extend the life of my battery as long as possible. This little package seems like the ideal solution. Costs about as much as a new battery, but it provides peace of mind. Besides, if it keeps mine from petering out on the ice in a flurry someday, it'll be worth every penny!

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

I bought one of those Smart Chargers at the Ice Show last year and put it on my blue box with the vex. After about two months, the thing must have blown up inside because it would never indicate that the battery was charging with the red led on. And I never charged at a rate above 500 milli amps. Next trip, the batt went dead after about an hour. But the funny thing is this: It's still on the ice box and wired up but the thing always displays three green leds meaning full charged regardless of how "up" the battery is. I tried to purchase one of the ones that come with a vex pro pack from Galyans last week but they said thay only come with the package deal. Guess I'll have to go over to Vexilar to get one eh?

You were misinformed. I have seen the Vex battery status indicators for sale at the Cabelas and the Scheels here in town for ~$17. They're nice, but I like the Smart-Charge because it shuts the charger off once the battery is fully charged; no worry of overcharging. Did you check the warrany on your unit? I've still got the packaging from mine, and I'd guess it's probably got a 1-yr warranty. If it failed, it may have also caused a problem with your battery and you may be able to squeeze MarCum for replacement of both ... maybe?

I have used mortorcycle batterys for ever. till this year. I bought the bigger 14 Ah battery because I fish and run my VEX about 8 hours a day. I purchsed for the very 1st time, a Battery from Gander Mountain . It's called a "lead acid " battery 7 AH. \The word " gel " battery has been used from the other posts. This mfg by Nature vision in BAxter, Mn. I paid $19.99 for it and the charger.
This identical battery I have noticed has sold at other places for $29.99 with a
500mA charger.
This 7 amp hour battery should last me 25 hours running my VEX. They recommend you re charge with the 500mA charger for twice the time you used it. And re charge often.
This is my 1st year using this typ of battery. So far so good. I have purchsed the VEXILAR battery status indicator. I have used the battery for about 16 hours. the indicator said 80% charged with unit on. but 100% charged with unit off.
I have my wet cell ready to take over if necessary.

Crappie todd