• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MT license fee increase

The 2011 MT app came in the mail. Wondering what the changes will do to availability. I've heard some say they'll go elsewhere with cheaper tags. But now all the past outfitter hunters will be in the drawing. I'm already frustrated enough with the permit drawing!

I have also went out to MT, elk hunting this past year and am frustrated with the increased price of elk and also deer. It will be interesting to see if they actually fill all of the tags available with the price of the tag and price of gas this year. Maybe they will reconsider after 2011. What part of MT do you go?

I'd be shocked if they don't fill all the tags this year, per usual. If you think about it, MT was letting people off way cheaper than any other state, prior to the increase in tag prices. Even at about $900 now, where else can you get both an elk tag and a muley tag for that price? There are places to get them cheaper, but most states are more expensive than that for the two tags. It seems like lots of people forget that the increase in price is actually for two tags, not just an elk tag.

All that being said, I miss the old price already...

The problem is all those that used to get the Guaranteed Outfitter license at a much higher price, now all need to enter the general drawing with the rest of us. And it will cost them much less now. So its hard to say if there will be more/less/same number of applicants.

After drawing in 2009 we were very surprised to draw in 2010. But we DID NOT draw our Permit Area last year. So rather than go cold into one of the few areas not requiring a permit, we went elsewhere after returning the MT licenses.

Its likely this will be the last year we go through the huge hassle of applying to MT.

The most frustrating part is that the new law was touted to help enhance public land which everyone hunts. Both residents & non residents.

Can anybody tell me if there was an increase in resident tags? Nope, not one cent. Seems pretty shady to me that if this is going to enhance everyone's hunting opportunity that only non residents experience a higher cost. $20 for resident elk tag. Really? I can't even by a MN deer tag for that. Maybe the MN DNR should raise non resident fishing licenses to $200. It would really generate some revenue! Or would people fish elsewhere?

I hunt near Bozeman every year because I have family there. I can honestly say that this increase will cost the state of MT about $2,200 from my group. That's just 4 hunters.

Oh well, maybe in a couple of years when the state finds out that they grossly over predicted the amount of revenue that will be generated they will return the old system.

Or I'll just go shoot gophers in the summer.

I've been going to montana hunting for 8-9 years and the way i take this is it's kind of a slap in the face to nonresidents. they will be lucky to sell all the tags this year. last year they had excess combo tags available intill around the last week of season. so lets jack the price 40% and they should sell faster? WOW! it's not just the combo tag it's all big game animals that they raised 40%. $817 for an elk tag versus around $500 ,give or take, for wyoming or idaho. there was a comment period on the plain elk tag to give your input. thats the only tag that was not voted on by the public to raise the price. i for one will not carry a gun in montana intill they com back down to reality. if you want to pay the money you will probally get a tag

I agree with finn-land,

It is a slap in the face of non residents. The fact that resident tags didn't increase one cent is probably why the MT residents voted for it. If their tags were going to increase too I doubt it would have passed.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. frown

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. frown

I totally agree with that!!!

However, some of the info above is inaccurate and misleading. WY, for example is $577 for an elk tag. The elk tag you're talking about in MT is not only an elk tag, but also fishing and upland game for $812. The big game combo is $912 and offers a tag for a mule deer, an elk, fishing, and upland game. To get all of those licenses in WY it'd cost you $997 (577 + 312 + 92 + 16). If you compare against the other states out West you'll see that the fees increased the tag prices to be pretty similar to the "going rate". Part of the problem is that the prices were very cheap for quite a long time. Another part of the problem, pointed out above, is that the additional revenue is being collected from non-residents only. Again though, that's the norm for most Western states-- they give residents small or no hike in cost and hit the non-residents much harder.

The fees are too high in MT, but they're too dang high everywhere. If you want to play, you have to pay. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be playing in any of the Western states this year because of money...

So... all this sucks, but it's the way it is. If we want to go play in another state, we'd better be willing and able to eat a growingly large expense to do so.

It is normal for resident tags to be cheaper than NR. The residents live there and pay taxs year round to their home state. It is like hunting a bit of paradise in the western states with the abundance of game. Still a cheap hunt when you do it unguided. There is one solution to not have to pay the high fees, move to there and buy the cheap tag. Definately a hunters paradise.

You're correct about the MT license but how many people actually take advantage of the full license. Yeah I bring a fishing pole but have never actually used it. The vast majority likely only use the elk tag. I love bird hunting but would much rather arrow an elk!

i used to go to MT with my brother. never drew a buck tag but were able to pay like 25 for a doe. Went 3 yrs in a row and honestly was the most memorable deer hunt/scenary that I can remember. Probably 8-10 yrs ago. My sons are now 16 and 13 and would like to take them for the same reasons. Is it an unreasonable option now with the changes since then? The people in town and the ranchers were some of the neatest people you could meet. always a warm welcome and advice. any advice?

MJGrose,

Absolutely take the kids! The doe tags are actually still reasonable at $75. I just took the wife and nephew out (Nov 7-12)and had 5 Mule Deer Doe tags, which we filled with ease. It's an awesome hunt in an awesome place, your kids will cherish the memories forever. Plus Mule Deer are fun because under the right circumstances they can be insanely unwary, which makes them very fun to hunt for less experienced hunters.

While the non resident buck tags and bull elk tags are a little out of hand, the cow elk ($270 or so over the counter), antelope $200 and anterless deer @ $75 is still very resonable.

I just won't spring for a buck tag, not when I can shoot 6 does for the same price. Though the big 5X5 I saw last week almost made me regret that decision! Oh well.

The tag prices in MT are spendy but well worth every penny I spent on the license. Still a reasonable hunt when you consider you can do it on your own if you choose. If you research alot of other states draw policies and fees it is right on par but better odds of hunting and lots of land with easy access. I am amazed that everyone is so upset about the cost of the tags, but will eat out once a week or pay $50-100 month for TV. Eliminate those unneccesary extras and you have your tag paid for!

Oh I agree completely. If it was just me i'd have no problem spending the $. But I'm busy trying the corrupt the mind of my 14 year old nephew and molding my wife into an enthusiastic deer hunter. So 5-6 doe tags makes more sense than 1 buck tag. It lets them gain experience and gets more animals under their belts. Plus fills the freezer more efficiently!

I don't necessarily think it's the price of the tags, it was the rate of increase and zero increase for resident tags, even though it was touted to improve public use lands, which can be agruably are used by residents as much if not more than non residents.

I'll still keep going for exactly the same reasons you stated. Good draw chances and lots of public land to hunt. Though I probably won't give up TV to do it, I think I'll just work some side jobs. grin

Most would not give up satellite TV, I have not had TV for 3 years. Roughly saving $100 per month, that gives 7 years of hunting in MT for trophy mulies! Thatis a no brainer for me, the world is much better when you don't have negative media blasting you everyday.

I will say this, the trips I have made to Montana were awesome.

Beautiful country and a trip of a lifetime.

When I really think about what everything else costs, I guess it is not that bad. Maybe a person just gets tireds of all the cost increases for everything.

I do not know if there is a nicer place to hunt for trophy whitetail than the Milk river area. I have also archery hunted elk in the Charles M Russel National wildlife rufuge and that is another very nice area. That trip we did harvest a nice 5X5 bull and a P&Y whitetail .

The deer and elk combo now runs $959. And the real crappy thing is that if you dont draw a special permit and dont want to keep the general license, you only get an 80% refund. Makes hunting montana very expensive if you are trying to build bonus points.

Residents pay about $10.00 for a big game license the group of Montana individuals that pushed the price up(not the DNR) said they did it to maintain Montana family tradition. What started much of this is guides were tying much of the private land up so residents lost one source or area to hunt. Went for 40 years plus,I am all done.

I would even fill guilty pulling into a ranch yard and they look at you like you must be one of those rich eastern fellows if you can pay over $900 dollars just for a elk and a deer.

All they are doing is turning hunting into a wealthy man's sport. Very sad when any state has to charge outragious fee's to hunt deer and elk.

Many states are jumping on the price bandwagon when they see thier neighboring states are charing these fee;'s and they still sell the tags.

I am happy that I can still hunt North Dakota and Wisc for lower fee's for whitetails.

Montana charges what the market will bear. We have high income and property taxes but no sales tax. If you paid $200 less for the license package but $200 in sales taxes on purchases here would you feel differently? I spend 2 weeks in Minnesota every summer and I know how much coin I drop in sales taxes, which would put my husband and wife combo licenses at about $300 if I wanted to look at it that way.

It's the same "effect" collection of federal income taxes would have if collected in a lump on April 15 rather than a little from each paycheck. Montana just collects from hunters in one lump sum.