• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yes we do have land in ND. I also oversee a ranch for a very good family friend who was a resident but now lives elsewhere.

I have thought of changing my residency to ND just so I could have a better shot at a buck deer tag. But, while doing that, my Minnesota fee's for fishing and hunting would eat up any savings.

I have considered retiring in ND.

As far as a NR getting a doe tag, that would keep one hunting more often for sure. I can shoot a doe now with my bow.

Thanks for the correct info on the how the G/O get their licenses. I have also thought of getting a guide license to secure a buck tag for myself but again, more cost and work than what it may be worth.

I will continue to do my archery hunting in ND and get a buck rifle tag when I can. Unless the fee gets so high that it makes no sense. I feel that for $215.00 for a rifle buck tag it's not that unfair now. The bow tag is also $200.00. There have been years when I was very lucky and recieved a deer rifle and a few extra doe tags and I got to hunt all fall. That of course was when the deer herd was a bit to big and those days are now gone for quite some time until an easy winters come.

This fall I do not plan on deer hunting there as in our area, it looks like the deer took a pretty hard hit. I feel we will give them a bit of a break for a season. This I will know for sure after I get back up this summer and can see how the herd faired.

It's not that I am picking on ND, it's just that evrery year, there are more restrictions and fee increases for the outdoor's people and this will continnue until very few will be able to enjoy this in any state.

It will come to this. The only way we may have a shot at stopping this is to contact our reps and ask them to make sure all is far for everyone. Then, hope for the best.

I for one feel blessed to live so close to North Dakota. In my opinion, the best upland bird and waterfowl hunting there is! I have never met friendlier people, on the whole, anywhere. Where else in the country can you hunt unposted private property without permission. Whenever we hunt this private, unposted land we always try and find who owns it and call or stop and thank them for not posting their land. Even when we do ask to hunt private, in 50 plus years, I don't think we've been turned down 10 times! I've never felt gouged with fees charged there as a non-resident. Which is more than I can say for like Montana, big game hunting. Fee's go up and things change. Hunting in many states is slowly becoming a rich mans opportunity. Thanks to the people of North Dakota for giving my kids the chance to grow up hunting and building memories of hunting trips there! Dogs, guns, shells, 4x4, gas , food,place to stay or camp, the hunting license is a drop in the bucket! Guess if there is one part of hunting ND, that has changed the most for us, its our annual bowhunting trip to the badlands. We hunt 99% on the grasslands but accessing the public in a number of our spots is now gone due to the leasing up of large parcels by some of the big TV hunting shows and pros( I no longer watch their shows or buy their products, I won't give them one dollar to gain control of any more areas the rest of us did have access too!) guess they would rather I hunt watching their show.

I no longer watch their shows or buy their products, I won't give them one dollar to gain control of any more areas the rest of us did have access too!) guess they would rather I hunt watching their show.

Recon, just curious- what shows and what "pros" are you referring to? I'll gladly join you in your boycotting of them.

BTW, this is an excellent discussion and fact and opinion sharing thread. This really has been a nice thread on a very touchy topic. All who contributed this far are to be commended for doing so extremely thoughtfully and in a really mature way. Thanks- I know more about this and have gained valuable info from this thread.

Nice job Harvey.

In regards to changes made every year.Not that much has changed here.The waterfowl regulations have gotten more pro NR hunting here.You can now buy a state wide no zone license.There used to be leg tags in the past.Not anymore.Also the cost of a waterfowl license has actually gone down from $100 to $85.

The upland license has had the biggest change.First by seperating into waterfowl and upland.They were combined before.Now by limiting the license to 14 days.Before it was all season.Although you can buy as many as you want.

The deer licenses have had no change in at least 25 years except for a pro NR change in that second doe tags are now $50 instead of $200.

There have been a few nice things for living here.Res. now get the first week of waterfowl by ourselves.And Res get to hunt state land the first week of pheasant season by ourselves.Nice perks for living here.

Ken, I remember paying like 60 dollars or so about 15 years ago for a NR deer tag I think.

I believe there have been a few increases. Yes, the $50.00 doe tag was very nice.

I have no idea where to research the fees over the years for deer tags but I may call the gam & fish just to know if I am right or out in left field.

It could be in my best interest to get a guide's license so I could apply for thoise tags as we have 6 guys thast rifle hunt. I would more than likely pay off. It would cost less for a guide license than getting a tag from an outfitter or guide.

Thing is, all I want to do is hunt there for deer. I can bow hunt as I can get that tag over the counter. Rifle of course is lottery and forget the muzzleloader tag as I figure I may never get one of those unless I had an extra doe permit. I would guess the doe tags will be hard to come by for some years now until we have some easier winters and the herd can grow.

I realize I also got spoiled for the past 6-8 years with all the tags available for all.

In regards to the fee increase, I was to some degree talking about all the states I have hunted in and the fee increases over the past years. Heck, Montana's elk license is far beyond me now. Last time I was ther I believe I paid like $500.00 and now it sure is close to the $1,000.00 mark.

Tom, just curious- what's involved in getting a guide license- both regarding cost and what hoops do you have to jump to do it? I'm not trying to make you dig up a bunch of info here, but it sounds like you've looked into it and I'm curious.

It's bit of work Scoot.

1.Hunting Guide Eligibility Requirements:

2.Must be 18 years of age;

3.Must be certified in adult cardiopulmonary resuscitation;

4.Must be certified in standard first aid or its equivalent; Must have legally hunted in this state for parts of 3 years in a manner directly contributing to the individual's experiences and competency as a Guide; (NOTE: This section may be waived if the employing outfitter would suffer an undue hardship without that individual.)

5.Must pass a background check for criminal and game and fish violations (NDCC § 20.1-03-38(3) Source);

6.Must satisfactorily pass a written examination which shows the applicant is proficient in the applicable State and Federal laws of hunting wild game; and

7.Must be employed by or contract with a licensed hunting Outfitter.

I have a friend who could line me up with the outfitter. The the fee which I believe is $400 for a NR. I have the first aid due to the guiding I do for tha annual Handi capped hunt in North Dakota each year. I would need the other though.

No violations in my life for hunting, fishing or criminal so no issue there either.

I do figure it may allow us to get our rifle buck tags a bit more often but at a price for sure.

Other option is to hunt elsewhere but with the ranch there and the house and sheds, it's easy to enjoy and not so far from home. I would hate to not hunt there.

It's like our little slice of heaven.

When we're talking deer hunting vs deer hunting while ND's is a bit higher, MN also charges $141 for a non resident tag.

While I personally think the hunting is better in ND, I would enjoy being able to hunt with the rest of my family... however, at $141 it's a bit rich for me.

I do wish MN would offer something similar to ND where a non-resident can pickup a second or third drawing doe tag (or whatever tag for MN) for $50 or $60...

marine_man