• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

transducer for ice fishing???

Bobb-o

Question

hey, i have a humminbird Sixty-six but my problem is that I only have a transducer for mounting to a boat, would i be able to use it through the ice? or do i have to go and purchase a seperate transducer for ice fishing?

3 answers to this question

You can use it, but would probably have to mount it on something rather than hang it down the hole on its cord, unless it will rest level without a mount. Most boat transducers don't rest level when you dangle them in the water. You could mount it on a piece of angle iron or something straight that doesn't float, and rig a way for it to stay in place against the side of the hole. Your transducer will perform better (the cone will be unimpeded) if you make sure it sticks out slightly from the bottom of your ice hole.

Good luck.

I had a Garmin 160 I rigged up using a 1/2" flat aluminum bar (any Ace hardware has them for a couple of $$) bent it at 90 degrees and left it under fishfinder to keep it in position.

Worked like a champ. I was even able to shoot through ice and find out depth (I dipped it in minnow bucket water to make better contact with ice)