Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swill

My house is getting too heavy!!!

6 posts in this topic

So does anyone else feel like the bring too much stuff when they go out icefishing? When I go with another person we seem to be bring more and more each year? I have an otter lodge and we usually bring a power auger, minnow bucket, three 5 gallon buckets, aqua vu camera, mr heater with the larger tank, vexilar, gps unit, plus rods, tackle and tip ups.. Ahhh it is driving me nuts. I mainly fish panfish so I need to move around. Other then pumping weights what should I do? Any tips on what other are doing will be greatly appreciated.

actually i am going to steal sudden impacts idea. this isn't mine so all credit goes to him. he uses a larger cooler, the kind you bring on a picnic or something. it has rollers on the bottom. and he just puts his 2 rods, minnow bucket, scoups, everything in there. and rolls it out to the spot. the cooler doubles for a seat also. well that is just an option for people that dont have a huge sled to haul stuff in.
in a bigger sled just bring what you need. power auger is nice but a hand one works great. once the ice gets over a foot n a half then stick with the power, but otherwise that is alot of extra weight.
but it sounds like ur ready to be stalled on the ice all winter lol. too much stuff for just panfishin.

Swill,

Definitely ditch some of the gear... Dropping from a 12 pack to a six pack doesn't save much weight.

swill had same problem solved it with the purchase of a wheeler

I agree sometimes enough's enough but don't leave home any of the food, nothing shorten's a trip quicker than out of bait,beer or food. There are many times it boils down to not the early bird but the patient bird that catches the fish.

Fishing the lakes up here in the northern part of the state, it's like who cares how much junk you bring. We have been driving trucks on the ice for a couple of weeks now.

But I still pack lite, don't like load and unload tons of gear. I don't bring anything I don't need. Even if you have it, sorting threw all that stuff when you setup and or take down and move is a real pain. Other than bait, buckets, auger and the ice house everything I bring with can be fit into a medium sized storage bin. Most of the time I even forget food and drink(kinda dumb), so after about 4 hours on the ice my darn gut gets more attention than fishing. Gotta start packing food smile.gif

I guess I should mention this is only my 2nd year of being back into ice fishing after a 12 year or so hiatus, so I haven't collected to much junk to take with. And I hope that I don't get too far overboard with it either.

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 01-01-2003).]