• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coleman Camp Stove Repair

Marmot

Question

I have a Coleman Camp Stove that needs a little TLC.

The pump will not exert any pressure to the fuel tank. I removed the pump mechanism and oiled the leather since it was bone dry. Still, I am unable to get any pressure in the tank.

I know very little about the mechanics of these stoves and I am seeking suggestions on what else could be wrong.

Marmot

5 answers to this question

Marmot, I too had that problem with a gas lantern. The leather plunger appeared to be ok so I oiled it. It still did not work. I then put a new one in it and it worked perfectly. Go to colemans web site and order there. The leather plunger is cheap.

Good Luck

------------------
"sure are cocky for a starvin pilgrim"

Thanks for the input Ninetoe.

Earlier today I was on Coleman's web site looking for troubleshooting info and prices for replacement parts. Since the prices are reasonable, I think I am going to replace the entire pump mechanism in hopes of avoiding future headaches in trying to get the stove going again.

Marmot

Anyplace have these on hand? Got a lantern that I can tell the leather is starting to get bad but will make the season I hope. Just wondering where I can pick up a new one while out and about.

Most sporting goods places that sell camp stoves have the plunger assemblies hanging up near the lantern mantles and spare generators. K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Pamida, outfitters, Gander Mountain, etc. should have these in stock. The plunger is a standard "one size fits all" deal, so it doesn't matter what stove or lantern you have.

A drop or two of oil a year (I use 3-in-one) will keep those leathers working great. I have a lantern and stove that will be 25 yrs old this summer and both have the original pump and leathers. I have replaced one generator on the lantern.