• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coleman SportCat

say_der

Question

I was fortunate enough to receive a Coleman SportCat catalytic heater for Christmas this year. I've never used a heater like this before. I've suffered in my little single man portable with candle lanterns the past several years. They don't provide much heat obviously.

Is this safe to use without vents in my old fish house? Or should I cut some vents? I get a lot of air flow up from the bottom of it because I don't pack snow around the front, it's a flip over style house. I heard the BlackCat heaters from Coleman say they are safe for indoor use. The SportCat doesn't say that anywhere on the box.

Thanks for any help.

2 answers to this question

You should be fine with the minimal ventilation that you already have. The Sportcat only puts out like 1100 BTU's, so it really doesn't consume a ton of oxygen or produce a lot of co2. You will like the Sportcat, not a ton of heat, but you can put the unit very close to you. Perfect for warming up the hands after catching a fish or puttin on a minner.

Also, I plan on keeping one running overnight in my tent while winter camping, and I'm not too worried about suffocating in my sleep.

[This message has been edited by Duffman (edited 12-31-2002).]

I use the Blackcat in my 1-man FishTrap with no problems. I'm usually burning my Coleman lantern at the same time. Remember CO2 builds up in your system over time.