• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR Wood Structure in Douglas Cty Lakes

I overheard on the radio today that the WDNR is going to be planting some sort of wood structure in the upper st croix lake and a lake in Bayfield. Anyone know details on this? I heard that some lake association members are not happy with this? but I believe its purpose is to help fish with shelter. I remember when they built crappie beds for Upper Red Lake in Mn to help protect the crappies from eyes and pike....

They have been cutting shoreline trees and dropping them in the water at some of the lakes in Bayfield County. They did this on the Eau Claire Chain and the Pike Chain recently. They call it " fish sticks". It provides cover for small fish,frogs, etc. and benefits the whole food chain. The "fish sticks" on the Pike chain created a controversy as the downed trees limited some accesss for the campground users.

They did the same thing last winter on the Chippewa Flowage. Cut down big pine tree's that were on the very edge of the shoreline and dropped them into the water. I know of at least a dozen along one shoreline.

My cabin is on a lake where they started the Fish stick program. They literally take a chain saw and and cut a few trees into the water. 3 years later after the ice has snapped all the little branches you have some big trunks left. Nothing amazing but better than a sterile groomed shoreline. I think cribs hold more fish. I check the sticks every weekend as some are 100 ft from my dock and they are usually empty of fish as they are in 2ft of water.

Mwal

On nebagamon, ther were 20ish cabins that signed up for the program. They qualified after donating to the lake association. Not sure which ones participated. Looking for info on that.

There are a few existing cribs on LN that I've found over the years. I also know of a few home made cribs that are within casting distance of some docks.

Forgot about this thread. They did this on the Mighty Minnie this year. They are all down the west shoreline that is state forest. Fished them a few times. IMO, they are way too shallow to do anything. The lilly pads all come out way past the downed trees rendering them useless as shelter. I've put lures into just about every nook and cranny on the trees that are north of the channel...zip, nada, zilch. On the other hand, I caught three fish out of one shallow blowdown in nearly successive casts up by the tavern. But that was the only cover at the time. We shall see. They always look WAY too tempting to pass up after I'm done with the milk run.