• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Considering an AR style gun

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A factory Olympic Arms K8 (bull barrel, stainless) will run you about 750 if you shop around. Optics and a mount will run you ??????? (shoot the moon if you want to) that should get you started. Mine shoots really small groups (smallest 3 shot group was under .3" at 100 yds.) as long as I do my job as a shooter........

Quote:
What would you guys say is the cheapest decent setup a guy could have. Just for target shooting?

If you have any mechanical aptitude, you can build one quite a bit cheaper than you can buy fully assembled. I bought a stripped lower receiver for 95 bucks from a local gun shop and bought a rifle kit, that included everything needed to complete the lower for 499 online (M4 style, 1:7 twist chrome lined barrel from Del-ton Industries). The beauty of doing this is that I only paid 7 dollars sales tax (for the stripped lower) for the whole thing! Assembly only required a 5 dollar stock wrench and about an hours time. ar15 dot com has all the info you could possibly want.

IMG00042-20110224-1943.jpg

All said and done:

Rifle kit 500

Stripped lower 100

Rear Flip up sight - 60

Vortex strikefire red dot 150

the color is a little off but it's black and green,my build last year. they could make it a merit badge for cub scouts it's that easy to assemble, only one spring and detent that can be tricky. assembled mine with a framing hammer and a finish nail.LOL!

full-35274-6469-dscn1673.jpg

I've got my AR on the way. I had my brother whose a gunsmith build it. Its all Rock River with a 20" Stag arms barrel. He said the only thing I'll need to do is figure out what I want for sights on it. I'm leaning towards spending some cash and getting a very good variable power scope but I keep thinking that maybe a holographic would be the way to go. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't really plan on hunting anything with it other than maybe some coyotes here and there.

I guess it just really depends on how you plan on commonly using your firearm. Magnification is very helpful for precise aiming at greater distances. A reflex sight is better for quick target acquisition at short distances. You might just stop into a big box sporting goods retailer at look at the options available all at once in order to see how they compare. Keep in mind your expected use when comparing strengths/ weaknesses.

I'm usually a pretty big proponent of the smaller, local stores. But I recommended a big box place so that you can get a long field of view through the optic. Don't just look at the wall behind the counter, turn around, maybe put things of different colors (Do they have anything coyote-colored for you to scope out?) behind the reticle and see what the contrast looks like to you. And keep in mind what you plan on using the optic for when fooling around with it.

I got my AR all set and ready to go. I've only shot it a few times but plan to give it a workout sometime soon. Its a Rock River lower and upper with a 20 inch Stag Arms barrel. I put a 3x9x40 Bushnell Elite 3200 scope on it.

full-694-8371-ar.jpg