• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Considering an AR style gun

I'v been tossing the idea of picking up and AR also. I have a brother that has a complete lower for me but I just have to make the 24 hour trip to get it. I have looked at the DPMS and found that you can get a .223 with the heavy barrel for 750. I still need to do some more research but I've heard both good and bad things about the DPMS. Mostly QC issues.

Throw it in the mail.

I know a couple people that have dpms along with me and never had any problems.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for any CO walking up to anyone using a "black rifle" as they call them.

I read an article a while back about the assault style rifles used for deer hunting. Ill stick to the modern rifles so I do not get a gun pulled on me and a CO doesn't feel so scared to walk up to you.

that's just my opinion. I think assault style rifles should be left for target shooting.

I have a true "black rifle" a black Browning A Bolt two black Benelli SBE's two black muzzleloaders andfive or so black handguns. I don't think a CO or other LEO should be afraid of more than the other. Besides an ambush I would be more concerned with what can not be observed until it is too late.

The AR is a fine proven platform.

I do not remember, maybe it was a news cast?

I do know that Jim Zumbo who use to write on a blog for Outdoor life wrote a blog about black rifles which caused a big controversy with hunters and shooters. Than Dennis Anderson wrote some mindless junk trying to get attention on himself by talking about black rifles too.

I have nothing against them, to me they are a pleasure guns, made for looks and shooting targets.

If I owned one, id probably use it. But to me id rather pay less money for regular rifle and have just as much fun

I feel sorry for any CO walking up to anyone using a "black rifle" as they call them.

I read an article a while back about the assault style rifles used for deer hunting. Ill stick to the modern rifles so I do not get a gun pulled on me and a CO doesn't feel so scared to walk up to you.

that's just my opinion. I think assault style rifles should be left for target shooting.

Why would a CO be more concerned over a ar style rifle than a shotgun or a more traditional hunting rifle?

I have nothing against them, to me they are a pleasure guns, made for looks and shooting targets.

What is more modern than an AR-15 or AR-10? crazy

Why would you get a gun pulled on you if you are using an AR for Deer Hunting? crazy

The AR-15 is based on the M-16. I do believe that gun was designed to do more that shoot targets.

The AR platform is the most versatile platform out there.

With an AR in the right caliber I can kill virtually every big game animal in North America.

Why would a CO be more concerned over a ar style rifle than a shotgun or a more traditional hunting rifle?

I am not saying a co shouldn't be scared of a shotgun or a traditional, bolt action rifle.

But most clip sizes on the assault rifles are rather large compared to traditional. Look at the Wisconsin shooting with the st paul guy using his SKS to mow down 8 people killing two and he came out with out a scratch.

im not saying I frown upon them, I just wouldn't use one for hunting unless I owned one. They are labeled bad because of well, war, streets, ect. If they were just labeled for hunting there would never be a controversy.

Settle im not taking any sides, just stating my opinion and stories ive heard

How hard would it be if a guy with some mechanical ability put an ar-15 together from parts. Stripped lower, like what Bloc ordered, and the parts kit plus the upper and barrel seems cheaper than buyin a rifle all together. Was wondering if anyone has built one and what cost they had into it? Can you buy a complete upper and a different brand complete lower, snap them together and go shooting?

How hard would it be if a guy with some mechanical ability put an ar-15 together from parts. Stripped lower, like what Bloc ordered, and the parts kit plus the upper and barrel seems cheaper than buyin a rifle all together. Was wondering if anyone has built one and what cost they had into it? Can you buy a complete upper and a different brand complete lower, snap them together and go shooting?

I put together a AR-15 .223 Wylde for my daughter w/ ArmaLite lower and White Oak upper [ match grade ] for $1100.00. I had budgeted $1500 originally, so we opted to upgrade to a Geissle trigger as well. She uses it for CMP High Power competitions and did exceptionally well at Camp Perry Ohio last summer. The only thing I didn't care for was that the match grade barrel is extremely heavy compared to a standard, off-the-shelf AR. I've heard alot of good things about the Panther DPMS product lines from St. Cloud as well.

I have ordered everything Spikes Tactical except for the Daniel Defense lower parts kit, i got an extra magpul magazine to match my OD Green "furniture". It was not hard at all to put the lower together. All said and done I will have about $1000 into it. Now I will still need to get optics for it, and i will probably upgrade the trigger, but $1000 is a good ballpark. You can definately do it cheaper (about $150 or so), just depends on what you are looking for.

i put mine together last year and it's easy, theres only one spring and detent that can be tricky i couldn't find a set of punches and used a finish nail to put it together, never made a scratch. i got about $1300 in mine but i already had a scope, now am looking to upgrade the scope to maybe the nikon223.

I know this topic has been dead for a while but I am too amped not to share...I just ordered everything for my first AR build using a Del-ton Industries kit (includes everything except the stripped lower) and an Ardel Engineering (out of New Hope, MN) stripped lower for 600 bucks total. Includes everything except a rear sight. If you are not picky about buying from a "top tier" manufacturer, you can get by much cheaper than stated above. I figured my first build will be just a plinker so I took a chance and went the budget route after doing many hours of research. I'll post pics on Monday when everything is in and put together and a range report Tuesday or Wed. since it should be 40 degrees!

Quote:
Mike Milli in the brained area is who you need to talk to. His business is calledDedicated technologies and he is a moderator on other webpages, by the name of Dtech. Get a hold of him and talk with him, he will get you pointed in the right direction. In the ar format, the caliber offering is ever expanding. Keep in mind that the ar15's will shoot the shorter cases like 223 and the wssm's while the AR10's will offer more of the standard calibers like243 and 308 to name a few. Look into the 6.8Spc as well. You can't inter change AR 15 and AR 10 uppers, so if you want to have a 223 upper for plinking or coyotes and fox, you will be looking at the AR15

+1

I bought an upper from him a few years ago chambered in .243WSSM and have been very pleased with it. That'll more than cover your 300 yard range requirement and much further if you want. Leupold's custom shop will make custom turrets(specifically calibrated to any specific load) for a Leupold scope for $150, so you can get a Leupold w/M1 turrets and get greatly extended range without having to spend $1100-1200 on a Mark 4 scope.