• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morson ice fishing reports

I was up cruising yesterday. we made a big loop starting over towards Hay bay to Miles bay ( even found what was left of a nice 8 pt buck that the wolves had taken ) to Fish Narrows then to the blinker by Dawson and back to Morson. never seen another soul out there but there was for sure other traffic that had been out else where. No big pressure ridges yet but then that can change any time. very little slush. plenty of fluff in the islands but it gets a little rougher out in the open. I got a couple of buddies who are planning to fish lakers on opener in WFB. havent heard how much ice is up in WFB though. Thinking the next i will head up will be for lakers in a few weeks.

Plenty of ice, 16 inches or so. Guys driving pickups before this last snowstorm. Walleyes were small and slow so not much to report, just enough to feed the family.

Big snow last few days and now bitter cold so likely not many reports coming in.

Back up sometime in January.

Happy New Years all!

Any ideas on where to buy licenses and bait. Heading out of Morson (Hanson Bay) on Saturday. I know Mylies is closed. Buena Vista maybe? Any fishing reports and ice/slush condition reports would be appreciated. Have a cabin out of Hanson Bay but never ice fished out of Hanson Bay yet.

I don't know where you are coming from but we cross the border in Baudette and get our licenses at a gas/grocery station in Rainy River, kind of on the north end of town.

Thanks for the snow report, any new info would be greatly appreciated, heading up in a week! Thanks.

Licenses you would have to get in Rainy River I am not sure what their hours are I believe they close at 6pm.

Minnows you can get at Buena Vista or from Alf Gate tackle which is on 621 just south of Bergland. The owner's name is Alfred. I usually call him to make sure he is home when I am going through.

Fished last weekend for walleyes it was pretty slow caught a few keepers and lots of small fish. Heard good reports of trout up on Whitefish but I did not make it up their.

Lake conditions were fine we did not run into any slush and lots of snow on the lake.

my dad and a couple buddies went up opening day for laker up in WFB. they got a few and they encountered a lot of slush in WFB. my dad went again last weekend. i imagine the slush will hang around for a while. did well on lakers again as well. said there is a foot of ice or better in WFB. lotsa powder. cant wait to get up there and chase them lakers.

We will be coming through Baudette. Anyone know if there is a place to park at the the govt dock in hanson bay. If not, where is the best spot to park? Sounds like we better find licenses and minnows in Rainy River.

We fished up there from the Jan. 20-22nd during the cold snap. Fishing was fairly slow at times but we had many runs that kept us busy. Saw lots of lookers that would race up to the bait and just not hit it, then the next fish would just slam your jig....big differences. Fished in 24ft, overall roughly 200 walleyes/saugers for the weekend, biggest 26" with a bonus 36" pike.

Had plans to jump around and try different depths and spots but the weather was just to cold. Gold spoons or pink jigs w/ a minnow under a bobber were the hottest lures.

Just got back from our annual late January Laker/Walleye trip. they got 12" of snow on Friday night, on top of all of the snow that was already there. Four out of five of our sleds, the ones towning fish houses got stuck in 4' of snow, in sight of the cabins because we missed the packed trail, as it was buried in the new snow. After 1 1/2 hours of digging out, finding the trail so we could drive over it to make it passaoble, we were shot and called it a day. Three of us went for a ride in the afternoon, with no fish houses in tow, to see if we could find a packed trail up to WFB. Went as far as the portage but just drove on to the very start of WFB, did a quick circle then turned around and sledded back to Morson. There is very deep slush in WFB. I would not even consider going up there this year with a fish house in tow. You will get stuck, a lot, if you do. We opted for Walleye fishing, West of Morson for the remaining two days we had to fish. We did well, icing several fish over 20" and several between 17" and 20". Gold and red jigging spoons or a plain red hook under a bobber seemed to work the best.

W.T.

We got some of our fish off of a ocky bar that comes off of an island in 15' of water. I think 20' would have been better. The majority of our fish and all of the bigger ones came off off a small hump that was in 28' of water but topped off at 19'. I set up in 20 to 21'. Dinada!

was up fishing lakers in WFB on saturday. Oh yes...the slush is deep in quite a few spots. 4 of us went up all pulling Otter sleds, never got stuck but there was a few close calls. one guy in our group caught a couple smaller lakers and that was his first time fishing them thru the ice so most likely he will go again. did well with the biggest being 12 lb 32inch. was a day well spent. was overcast an no wind so we never did set up our portables. seen one other group fishing at Last Point on the way up and they were still there when we went home. even seen one fisherman with a fish on as we rode by. other than that we never seen or heard another soul out there. most likely head up again this weekend if it isnt 20 below out. so if ya see an orange Cat among a few other sleds.....stop by.

Fished WFB on Monday with Benelli Dude's dad had a great time. I personally did not catch any fish but we iced 5 trout between 25 and 29 inches. Saw a wolf kill near Devils Bay on the way up and on the way back saw a wolf on the kill. It was not in good shaped and looked to be full of mange. Do not think it will last the winter. Thanks for lending me the sled Bennelli Dude. Let our foreign exchange student ride it back when we brought it back. Man was he excited. Hope to make the trip at least one more time this winter. 4 slabs will be in the smoker this weekend!!!!

Unlike previous posts we encountered NO slush on the way up or down. Everything was pretty well frozen tight although we saw several places where people had broken through on our way back. They must have been travelling very heavy.

My fishing party got into some slush trouble Friday evening. Got out after a lot of work and wet gear. Total ice cubes walking into the cabin that night! Managed to catch some eyes Friday and Saturday even though strong west winds and snowmobile problems kept us close to home. Fished 20 and 24 feet off a point and had the best luck with a split shot and plain hook. Also caught some on a chubby darter tipped with a minnow head.