• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish locators....

fishingguy

Question

I am wondering about fish locators, vexilars ect... I haven't been ice fishing in almost 10 years and have decided to get back into it. (A born again ice fisherman) They were not used much if at all when I use to ice fish a lot. I have never used any, nor have I ever been fishing with someone who has one. How well do the work? what do they tell you? Are they a must? What do the newer models have over the older ones?
Sorry for all the, what may seem ignorent questions, but as you can probably tell I have been away from the fishing seen a long time and have times changed! Should I start saving for one? A good used one? new? Thanks in advance for all your help! The new guy! fishingguy that is!

12 answers to this question

I had a Vexilar FL8 SLT and I am trying to sell it, I don't see where the money is.

The lakes I fish are somehow shallow, I have used several fishfinders and flashers for icefishing, I am not too crazy about spending $ 400 for a Vex or Marcum, I switched back to my old Zercom and I can see and fish just as well.
I think it's up to the lakes you fish, but to my personal opinion Vexilars are mostly a hype.

Fishingguy

I have a color point flasher and here are a couple of reasons I like to use it
- You can save time locating fishing spots by shooting thru the ice to find certain depths and sometime suspended fish.
- If there are fish down there you can bring your bait to the proper depth.
- If I am in a fish house and I am busy doing other things (Reading, Playing cards, cribbage)
the flasher shows when (not allways) fish are around and that I should be paying more attention.

Those are just a few reason I like flashers.
Also they work great in open water fishing also

Hub

Fishing without one is like hunting without sights on your rifle. You are bound to hit a few once in awhile, but you are going to miss far more than you'll ever hit. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by kwkfsh (edited 12-29-2002).]

No offense, but vexilar is hype? To try and prove my point, I went out tonight with a gentlemen who didn't have one. I iced 13 crappie and 1 eye to his 1 crappie and 1 eye. Same house, same bait, same lures. Hmm, no hype about it, they work. I'll give ya $50 for the vex is its that much of a nusance grin.gif.

Stephen

fishingguy , A flasher is a great investment.
They can tell you more about what's going on underwater besides if there's fish around or not. Like depth , bottom content etc. If there are fish present you can often judge thier mood by how they react to your lure.
They are by no means a magic tool that will garuntee you fishing success but they do increase your odds.
You DON'T have to pay $400 for a flasher either. There are plenty of used flashers out there you can pick up for less. You may want to go that route if money is an issue or your not convinced about the advantages of using a flasher.
Not to start a " My brand of locater is best " argument for the 5 billionth time but personaly , I dig my Vex. Have been fishing with one for close to 15 years now and my first unit ( gave it to my dad )is still going strong. I guess if Vexs are hype then I'm just another sucker ! LOL
I'd be a little gunshy about getting a Zercom. They are no longer made which leads to where would you take it if it needed service.
Does anyone know if/where you can get a Zercom serviced ? Just curious.
Anyways ,Many guys swear by em and would'nt trade em for a stack of Vexs/Marcums whatever and that's cool , to each thier own but the service thing would bug me.

Geeman,

Best flasher repair place I know, bar none,
is Fish-lectronics in Nisswa, MN. If the
guy is still in business, he can practically
fix the thing blind-folded (no kidding - I
use to work for him!). However, he would
have to have access to the schematics for
the units...which Zercom may or may not be
willing to share. Also, the Zercom units
used a lot of surface-mount components,
which are not replaceable in the same way
a transistor or a diode is - too small,
such that specialized equipment is needed
just to replace them. However, any of the
older Eagle/Lowrance/Humminbird flashers
can be fixed there - if they are still in
business.

Hubcat and Geeman

Zercom Colorpoint Repair

The repair cost on the color point unit is $98.95. This covers all parts, labor, return shipping and a 6 month warranty on the repair.

Thank you

customer service

Zercom
108 Maple LN
Eufaula Al 36027