• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Howdy,

I just had a thought while considering my upcoming weekend of archery deer hunting.

For one, I don't know how much snow is in the area between Brookings and Souix Falls, so for two, I thought I might have an opportunity to use a snowmobile to gain access to far off areas and to haul a deer out should we get so lucky.

All hunting will be done on private property.

Is this legal in SD? I have the regs at home but thought I'd check here on a whim.

Thanks!

Well, the regs say I can't pursue or disturb deer with a snowmobile and the bow has to be cased en route. I guess the "disturbed" part has me disturbed a little since it's easy to do that to deer with snowmobiles but I think I can make an argument that I wasn't driving deer.

Seems like a fine line but O.K. for travel and the landowners don't mind so I guess I might be pulling one out.

So, for anyone else reading this: With the current conditions in the area, would the best tool be a sled or wheeler? I've heard only few inches of snow fell but drifts are bad.

Thanks.

That is a tough call on the wheeler or snowmobile. In Brookings we got 4 inches out of this last storm and it did drift quite bad. There is probably not enough snow to snowmobile except in the ditches here so I think I would bring the wheeler, unless you are planning on driving in ditches and along fence lines.

Well we're getting closer to figuring it out. We just might bring one of each.

Not trying to be a namby pamby about working for deer. I know what that's all about. I've drug them for over a mile before and field quartered and packed my share as well. I'm just looking more at my resources these days with limited hunting time.

Thanks for the input creepworm. cool

Well, East River was alot different hunting than West River. The snowmobile and trailer got parked the whole time out there. Much easier to get closer to the animals than I'm used to for SD.

No bucks were harmed since we couldn't get close to them so two plump does filled our $200 tags. A good time all the same.