• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nestor Falls/Kenora trout water frozen?

Close....satelite image from yesterday showed parts of WFB open as well as Silver, Shoal (anything deep...200 feet or so) The little lakes got tons of snow right after freezing and they are going to be in trouble for a while.

This will be a good year to do it. I have sold the business I was "married" to and now have some more free time. I would love to join the gang. I did a circuit several years back of Rainy/LOTW/URL and that was fun.

Where is the information on this/these gatherings?

I would love to host some stuff too, whether it's walleye in Kenora or Lake Trout on WFB.

For what it's worth - talked to a guy who rode snowmachine from Crow Lake to Nestor Falls today. He said Crow has very poor ice at this point but didn't hang around to elaborate other than to say there are places with 3" and the first inch isn't good.

That Crow report sounds opposite of what I have heard-6-8" is what has been reported elsewhere. There are obviously spots on Crow that have 2-3" of ice or less in the dead of winter-I don't think a guy on a sled would be out there chopping holes in 2-3" of ice either-

SBee,

What do you think the chances are we can sled from Nestor Falls through Crow into Cameron on Jan 15th this year? We're the guys that stayed at the Pipestone outpost a couple years ago at 47 below. Would like to do that trip again but only can find 3 day weekends anymore to vacation and have to keep the trips simple.

Merry Christmas to all!

The ice will be good everywhere then except in the traditional areas of current, ect. There will be plenty of snow on the portages too. It won't be a problem unless there is lots of slush, but I would guess there will be trail broke open by Jan 15.

We (3 of us) were up opening weekend and got our limits. All historical qualities still apply. Icing lakers is the best!!

PS-For the holes we drilled, ice was about 11-14" thick. Slush was sporadic, but not as bad as some other years a this time in our opinions.

PPS- Hemlock; did you catch more than one fish on Sunday? I'm thinking we may have met and talked that day.

Tman, yes that was me! Great to meet you guys, and sorry for the scare. :-)

We struggled that day. That was our only trout that day. No way to start out the season with a Skunk. Oh well, I live on the lake and can get out whenever I please.

Great to meet you guys, and thanks for the gift!

P.S. My profile pic is of a 20 lb laker caught and released...right off the dock on our island.

Duncan

Hey Duncan,

I was the other guy outside the house there with Tman. I'm wondering how I can get in touch with you. I want to pick your brain on rods a bit. Can you shoot me an e-mail or something? aaron at fishinfreaks dot com.

Thanks. It was great meeting you on the ice, too. Enjoy the trout.

Hemlock; you should try that spot. Those were not the only fish caught in that hole (I think the gift was the smallest one I pulled, sorry ). The next time we are up, we will have to see if we can meet up. We would love to try some deeper water.

PS- I'm jealous of your profile picture. I have yet to catch an open water trout.

Conditions varied substantially depending on location-We found anywhere from 4-10" of ice and glare ice to over a foot of powder on the lakes. We fished plenty of spots with LOTS of slush and water ankle deep on top of the ice. We don't tow anything and it would not have been possible to fish some areas towing houses. We had a good trip with lots of fish landed and average size the best in a long time. I think its funny when people mention "limits" and lakers in the same sentence. If you can't get a limit of lakers (either 1 or 2 depending on license)in this area time to give up on the sport...