• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New York Ice fishing Reports

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug - Well I didn't think I could fool Mr. Madison County, LOL.. Thanks Dave I think this weather is pretty dicey for icy and if I was unemployed I would be going up to black lake sleeping in my van at night and way laying on the pannies everyday for a fricken week. Texted with Chris yesterday and it was a stupid slaughter on Black yesterday,. Chris alone caught a couple hundred gills, limit of crappies and a first soaked his ice armor glove right through handling fish. Kyle and Lee were up there too and I am hoping that someone snapped a pic of a robust pile of pannies for us to ponder. Oh please post a pic fellas, someone, anyone.. Show us why the two hour drive was worth it boys!!!

Todd - I hope made it out this a.m. I know Frank was contemplating going as well.

2 guys had to be rescued yesterday on a private lake in the Windsor area. I heard that one died.Jay and I fish this lake sometimes.Being foolish under these warm conditions dose not pay.I wonder if they had picks,ropes and a floatation device with them.

Sad and preventable.

Timmy - you better be nice to Rosa or you will be doing a lot of sleeping in the van laugh. Heard second hand that some buds of a friend did well on Rollaway Bay on Black.

Tank - too bad about the news from your neck of the woods. Just yesterday you caution about the poor ice conditions.

this was posted at 10am this morning on another site

Went for a walk this morning. Got out about 400 yds. to the bouy line shocked. about 200yds. out there's about 4" of ice. at 400yds. there's 2" of black ice with a few thinner spots along the way. it took 5 good hits with a 30lb spud to go though. only one night this week where it's going to stay above freezing. we have a cold spell comming at the end of the week. so maybe next monday i'll be fishin ;D ;D ;D. this report is out of muskrat bay ONLY !!!! I had rope, ice spikes, a sound becon, and a life jacket on !!! be safe, and don't go out there alone. later...

Just chimming in to say hello to everyone . . . realized because of the surgery last year I haven't been on the ice for almost two years, so looking forward to catching up with all of you on the ice. It is a shame about the two guys, so be safe everyone. I like the looks of the LX7 will have to see one in action first hand to see if it really makes a difference or more entertaining. That screen should be able to incorporate video . . .

Maiden voyage for the 2011-2012 season was made on Weds. Fished Rollaway Bay on Black Lake, ice about 8" or better and very easy walking. Covered some territory but couldn't find any real good fish. Ended up with a bunch of 7"-7.5" gills with the best only being 8" and some decent crappies. Most crappies were in the 9"-10" range but my buddy Gene had some 12s. Sounds like the bite has cooled down some since a number of the people I talked to said that the numbers and size were way better last week. Still a fun day even though its a long haul from Rome. Caught some nice fish on the white/green stripe DC specials I got at the ice expo, thanks again Jay.

Hopefully we can get out on some local waters this weekend. Don't know what the rain during the night did and what todays expected snow will do to what ice there is.

Thanks for the report Dave. Freddy no doubt you guys made the right call, not going up. still snowing in rome. Have about an inch and 1/2 on the ground and predicted a trace to 3" until 7 p.m.

At work last night I met a fellow named Tom and if you by chance need some bait or tackle in the Rome, Floyd, Marcy area visit Tom's shop, Hometown Bait and Tackle, 9835 River Rd, Marcy, NY 13403. (315) 534-9740 Open Wed.-Fri, 5 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Sat aand Sun 5 a.m. - 5 p.m. You can also visit them on Facebook at HometownBait.

Fishing dependent on how much snow we get between now and when I get out of work in the a.m. Doesn't sound like I will be going til late if I go I have to take care of snowblowing three driveways this winter. Been lucky so far and I am not complaining.

Was planning on fishing tomorrow but given the weather forecast decided to venture out today. Fished the west shore of Dinkville, lots of people, lots of ice (given the "winter" we have had)and lots of small perch. Despite the hordes of small perch managed a little better than 20 keepers - most were slender 9s but had some solid 10s and 11s. Fished from 11:30 to 4:00. Wind kicked up in early afternoon and was pretty brutal. Place became a ghost town real quick. All in all a very nice day.

Pretty depressing news Fred - I've got another word besides "nuts" smile. Was hoping to see you guys on the ice at Jewell but I guess that ain't gonna happen for a while.