• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New York Ice fishing Reports

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Bill and I made it out on Dryden Lake. 3 in of hard ice. A lot of small crappie and small gills. It felt good to be on ice again. This is the first pond to get ice every year so be carefull out there.

We hit the ice for a little bit this afternoon and did well. The fish were not in that first ice frenzy but I bet the barometer was wacked, all the cows we saw were laying down. eek

3.5-4 in of rock hard black ice!

We kept about 14 nice perch and a few gills and crappies. I got a gill that measured 10in and Tank had a 13 inch crappie!

First fish of the year for me. Blue dart with white maki. whistle

full-1130-4334-012.jpg

The new 32in quiverstick was big fun... And the sun made for photography issues...

full-1130-4335-019.jpg

A touch over 10 cool

full-1130-4336-018.jpg

13!

full-1130-4337-021.jpg

You guys certainly don't waste any time. Nice fish! Hoping to get out soon - snow has caused some problems. I recognize that jig Jay - I'm lucky enough to have a couple in the brownish/gray color smile Thanks again.

In case you missed it, Gamma has a thread about you on ice shanty - it started on 12/15 in the ny general section.

DC. you have to hate those long rods whistle and even that sweet reel that I will have for a the customs I have.I use to fish with a good friend rest his soul he used 35 to 40 inch rods (limber) for waldos on oneida he very seldom came off the ice without fish wink.Those are some clean looking fish nice job.

DC. you have to hate those long rods whistle and even that sweet reel that I will have for a the customs I have.I use to fish with a good friend rest his soul he used 35 to 40 inch rods (limber) for waldos on oneida he very seldom came off the ice without fish wink.Those are some clean looking fish nice job.

When you gonna get out Todd? are you to scared? whistle

Fished with Todd and my driving was a little off. crazy First trip of the year and I forget the MarCum mad Caught a couple nice perch and was on 5" of some decent ice compared to the first spot we checked.

Sammy had issues with his ducer getting stuck to the rubber on his LX-5. Guys with 5's make sure when you put your ducers away put a piece of cellophane or paper towel in the bottom of the transducer well. I dislocated a finger getting mine out and Sammy had to dig at his with a piece of steel to pry his free. Sent an email to MarCum on this recurring problem putting your ducer wet away at the end of the season can be painful. If you do get your ducer stuck take the soft pack off and remove the gimbal screw that holds the power head on and thread it in the hole under the case hole where the transducer is stored. It will pop free after a few turns and the remaining rubber residue can be removed with a scotch brite pad with no damage to the ducer. when you store it between trips throw a piece of cellophane in the well and this will eliminate the problems Sammy and I had until MarCum can fix this.

Heres a late report from yesterday... Tank and I headed south to a diff lake than thursday. Fished from about 8 to 2. Drilled a lot of holes but were rewarded with about 30 fish, and some real quality ones...

Second fish of the day for me was this "unicorn". We have fished the lake before but have found no ryhme or reason to the crappies...

full-1130-4394-002.jpg

Caught mostly perch, quite a few over a foot and up to 13.5...

full-1130-4395-016.jpg

full-1130-4396-006.jpg

Got dad a new TB powernoodle for x-mas, but I had to give it a test run. cool

full-1130-4397-004.jpg

Very nice !!!

From the good news department. One of Dark Cloud's favorite lakes to fish, the mighty dead sea also known as Lake Delta, has decent ice. Unfortunately there is no water in the Lake crazy. Why the hell the NYS canal corp or whoever regulates the lake feels the need to draw it down to such a level is beyond me.

Pman - a draw-down on the Delta should be a good thing. I will confine the 17 fish that are in there and make em easier to catch. whistle

I got out of work with enough daylight for dad and I to hit the neighbors pond and blow the stink off. We caught about a dozen but they were picky and you had to really work each fish. Tank took the prize with a huge gill...

More videos at HSOshow.com™ [/hsoshow]

full-1130-4427-013.jpg

Which one is "tank" ? That is a bruiser of a gill.

DC you are absolutely on target on the big D. I foolishly listened to someone a few years ago that persuaded me that the lower water levels would concentrate the fish in several areas making them easier to find and catch. I guess there needs to be some fish in the lake to begin with to make that theory a winner.

Congrats on the fish, you guys are off to a good start.

How come Tank has only a lousy blue towel for a fishing towel? I thought for sure he would have a "terrible towel" at his side.

Thunder - can hardly wait to try the Jewell Alps on Oneida. Looking forward to it !

Sounds good T Man, I'm praying for no snow for a while. Went down to the big C yesterday, lake is in nice shape with very little snow cover - could be some prime ice conditions if the weather cooperates.

Made it out for my first hard water outing of 2010-2011. Fished the east shore of the Big C. Fished from 6' all the way out to about 29'. The good news was in most places there was 3" of nice, black, rock solid ice. The bad news is that the perch were barely longer than the thickness of the ice !!! Well maybe not that bad, but tons of dinks. cry Caught close to 100 kept 5 nice ones and another 15 or so for a Christmas eve fish fry. No jumbos in the group. The dinks seemed to be everywhere and not even a spoon with eyes would prevent them for biting. All in all a fun outing but would have liked a few like DC and Tank wacked.

Great job guys . . . hoping to make it out there shortly . . . might take a few hours this afternoon and try to fill another deer tag . . last day of muzzle today. Wouldn't it be great if there was a frozen lake near an apple orchard . . .could take the gun and fish at the same time!!

The weirdest thing happened today while fishing with Timmy. I had brought my anchors (tipups) along and had them set up over a decent little spread. Every time the one flag closest to Timmy would go up all you would see is Timmy jump up out of his shanty and run over to the tipup. Then he would start yelling its running King what do I do. He was like a kid in a candy store with that one tipup. Jay you should have been there to see it with your own two eyes. Timmy it sure does bring back memories from the old days doesn't it??

DSC09010BWcrop.jpg

While I'm at it Jay here's that 10lb walleye from last year.

DSC07102.jpg

no more stiff arming it

Timmy you'll appreciate this 9" gill on a hexi fly smile

DSC09002.jpg

Nice blue king. On a blue hexi? Timmy gave me the word on the blue hexi last year at Verona Beach - wacked a few with it. Guess I'll have to put it back among my first go-to lures.

I know, I was on the phone with TimmyToe when he had to go because of a flag. I called him names and told him to low-punch himself! Its all good though, everything is a personal decision. My choice would be to quit icefishing if I had to touch a minnow or a tip-up.

Longarm all the fish you want but tell the camera person to back up 3 ft. grin

On to the hexi's... mine are all up for trade. I used em once last year, missed a few fish, and never tied em on again. Im still struggling with the fancy pattern they put on the top of them that 99% of the fish comming in on your jig cant see...

Ok, I feel better now...