• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devils Lake Trip

I am just basing this on an educated guess. I have not seen anywhere that resort houses are moved daily. I could be wrong. I don't know much about this particular situation. It seems like a lot of work to me. Something to ask them about.

MeltedDon - That is an excellent idea! Great advice! I've got a BIG hunting duffle bag just for that! Thanks!

LMITOUT - eekshocked Why? Why? Why did you have to post this? crazy I do not like any kinds of cracks! It's bad enough when I feel the cracks, my knees goes wobble when this happens! Glad they made it out safe! I wonder now that happened, does this mean, they've stopped the guide service till the next cold snap?

candiru - I know what you're saying, I get you. smile

I've got another question..Does the woodland resort do the cleaning and packaging our fish? If not, do we need to bring our own packaging materials? Like freezer zip lock bags?

Woodland has everything you could possibly need. Awesome fish cleaning house, zip locks if you need them and the guides will clean your fish if needed. Don't worry, just show up and have a good time!

Notcho - I think we won't be bringing our portable/wheeler. Too much of a worry wether we'd get stuck. We'll put ourselves in woodland's hands and see how it goes.

candiru - Yeah I read their fishing report too. Looks like they have their houses lots parts of the lake. Some good, some bad.

How much food/drinks do we need to bring to the perms there? MeltedDon said some things that he'd brought his fishing equipment in duffle bags. After reading woodland's HSOforum, they said to bring your own food. Now, we just bring enough for each of us 4 to last a day at the perm? How do we carry them? Plastic tub containers? Maybe 1 big cooler to put food and drinks in it?

Just wondering how other people have done this.

One more question and then I'll stop with these questions. I'm sure you people are tired of me by now! Should we bring our own auger? I see that on their HSOforum that they would drill additional holes for us for tip ups. What happens if we wanted to try different spots other than the drilled holes? Any tips on that?

Sorry for those questions. blush

Wanted to have everything ready and not run into a "problem" that would delay the process of movement of the trip out to the perm, slowing down other people. You know what I'm saying?

Don't feel bad for asking questions... that's what makes HSO great!

Food, I'd try and get your food and drinks into one big cooler... or, take a smaller cooler and settle on a case of whatever your drink of choice is. The main thing is to not have stuff all over the place when you get in and get out... it makes the whole experience that much better.

As far as the auger... if it were me, I'd have them punch a couple extra holes for tipups and leave it at that... one less thing to squeeze into the vehicle.

marine_man

Pack a big lunch. Because the best time for a fish to bite is when you're taking a bite of a sandwich. Haven't you ever pulled up a fish with a 1/2 sandwich hanging out of your mouth and you're trying to tell your buddy to pull up your transducer through clenched teeth.

And if you're going to make meat and cheese sandwichs, wrap them in tinfoil. Then you can put them on the heater for 5 minutes and have a hot toasted, melted cheese sandwich. It'll make you so toasty warm that you'll want to eat them standing outside.

Don't forget the mountain dew.

No augers needed. Tell them at the lodge if you'd like to have a couple holes in a different depth so they can be prepared. Personally, I was happy to stay inside and jig my 2 lines. There are a couple feet of snow on the ice so seeing a tip up is going to be a challenge.

And don't bump the masterswitch in the track vehicle. It kills the radio and GPS. In the middle of the blizzard, that was a problem.

Good luck. Glad to help.

marine_man and MeltedDon - Thanks for the advice! That helps!

bagngNbulls - Sweeeet! Now that'd be a vacation if we'd caught our limit on those monster perch!

Alright, here's what we us guys decided. We're not bringing our auger. Instead we'll have the people drill additional holes. What we were worried about is that the holes would freeze up before we'd have the chance to use them. So I had a couple of solid steel ice chisel, found 1 that is half an 3/4 inch solid steel that's 5 feet long, so I cut it in 27 inches, drilled a hold at the end for the rope to go through so I wouldn't drop it in the hole. Best of all it'll fit inside my pole bag. So no worries if the hole freeze up a bit, got the tool for that. No auger needed!

MeltedDon - I'd gotten one of those tip up siren pager for xmas from my wife. When the flag goes up, the pager beeps loudly. Good up to 500 feet. Should help with all the snow out there.

I also have told my group to bring a BIG duffle bag for their equipment. That's a great tip! My plan is this...I'll have a medium size duffle bag for my clothes, underwear, socks, toothbrush etc. Pole bag with 4 fishing poles along with 2 tip ups, 1 tackle box, 2 electronics. All that goes in that big duffle bag. Put it the truck. Till we get to the resort, to our cabin, take out my clothes duffle bag, the rest stay in the big duffle bag for the trip out to the perm.

That would work?

3 more days till we leave for Woodland Resort! I'm pumped!

Thanks!

Looks like a cold forecast for this week/weekend!

Can't focus on work, I'm daydreaming too much about the trip. wink

Any other tips, advice, information?

Will post a long experience after the trip. From beginning to end. Along with pictures! Thanks to all who have given me so much information!

Ok. Here's the result. Nothing. No bites. Cold Front. Man, there's so much snow out there, it's unreal. Like everyone said, you'd need a tracking machine or a sled to get around.

Those people at woodland resort are VERY helpful, they've tried to help us to catch fish. Other local people that fished there we've talked to have said they've never seen anything like this before. Very hard to get fish. They felt so bad for us, tried to help us in everyway.

But the day we left, it was warming up, and the bite was getting better. I'm not sure what happened this week after we left.

There's this guy who worked at the resort, named Jeff, he's the man you'd want to talk to. He stayed with us for a while helping us fish. Showed us lots of tips on ice fishing. We saw on our flashers that how we'd jig and pound on the bottom of the lake with our jigs and got them coming to our jigs. But couldn't get them to bite.

The people there are incredible helpful, making sure we have a good time. One of my buddies forgot his flasher when we got to our fishhouse, and we called them, they went to our cabin with our permission, and brought back my friend's flasher for us. Very helpful!

No bites, but we had a great time! We'd go back again!

Oh man... bummer! Sadly, I've had trips just like that too. When conditions are that tough, there's sometimes not a lot that can be done...

Glad you had fun and I hope you get back there when there's a good bite going.

I was hopeing for a good report, I haved fished around alot of woodlands houses this year and i didint know if they were catching or not. I fished alot from christmas to around the 10th of jan and i couldnt take it anymore, fightng slush and catching very little. I havent benn back since the 10th of jan. I am thinking of going back this weekend and trying agian.