• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mouth call recommendations for coyotes

I've got a drawer full of calls - not counting the ones that are permanently assigned to the white backpack.

Honestly, yotes are not music critics - and just about any one of the dead bunny calls will get the job done as well as the next one. I have settled on a couple of them simply because they are wooden bodies (don't freeze to my lips) and sound good to me. Those are mostly Sceery models, with a Faulks and an old Weems Wildcall. Don't forget to get a squeaker, really nice for pulling them in that last few yards....

If you decide to try howling, there is a lot more variation, but I have found that an open-reed call - one of the cheaper models with a large bell - is the easiest to blow. The Johnny Stewart CYC2 is easy to learn on, and does a decent job. After that, if you're like me you will start buying and trrying a bunch of them, tossing most aside into the "maybe I'll use it later" pile.

Oh my God! This is hilarious. I swear no two callers agree on what actually works (even though they are both right).

I have had good luck with bunny calls in Minnesota, better luck out West with the howlers, and I can't stand the Red Desert Howler (its in my "maybe I'll use it later" pile of calls with the Primos Hot Dog). Favorite howlers are the Johnny Stewart and a Sceery one (both open-reed) None of the "easy to blow" calls that I have tried are worth the packages they come in (and I swear I've got 'em all).

Roughly the first 50 or so critters I called in were with the Weems and a Lohman dual-tone. The Lohman was actually the more successful, but I no longer use it. Go figure. I can't even agree with myself!

I love my hot dog howler, but not so much with the red desert one. I have howled plenty in, mostly you need to have more patience and not so many howls, two three and wait 5 min and then go to the rabbit blues. Just depends, but i do most of that at night in mn, nd is a different story.

I use Tweety alot and have a lot of luck with it, but the absalute best calls I've got are from a guy that custom makes them and sent me 4 calls as a gift when he found out that I was deployed. I will have to look at the calls to get the name of the guy, but they are by far the best I've used so far.

I've also used the "easy to use" type of calls like the EZ-Howler and let me tell you; There is NOTHING easy to use about them!!!