• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remington Model 7 ----7MM -08

Guy's,

I have a friend with a 10 year old Rem mdl 7. In the 7MM-08. What are your favorite factory loads? I think he is shooting Rem Core Lockt bullets 140 grains. I have seen some 150 grain loads and several Hornandy 139 grain loads. any experience with any of the above in your 7MM -08?

Does anyone have any reload recipies that they like?

How about gunsmiths in the Metro area that cojuld do a trigger job to lighten up the trigger?

Thanks

They are factory loads, (Federal Premium loads). We have 4 different 7mm-08 rifles in our group and so far they shoot everything pretty darn good. Haven't needed to come up with handloads to get them to group.

Pet loads for 7mm08's:

139 Hornady SP and 50 gr H4350, WW Cases, F210 Primer. ~ 2875 fps from a 20" Model 7.

120 Barnes TSX or 120 Nosler BT and 44 gr R15, WW Cases, F210 Primer. ~ 2950 fps from a 20" M700 Youth, 3075 fps from uncles 26" Savage 14 Euro Classic.

Standard disclaimers apply ... work up the loads, these are near maximum ... yadda yadda yadda.

1st of all, is that gun for sale? If not I'd like to have the right of 1st refusal. I shoot a Vanguard 20 inch barrel. I replaced the trigger with a 1 1/4 pound Timney. I've had great results from the following:

Factory:

140 Grain Fusion .930 pattern

2802 FPS

Reloads:

130 Speer Boat tail (1624)

41 grains of 4064

CCI 200 primers

Rem brass

.624 pattern

2796 FPS

120 Sierra BT

45.5 H-380

CCI 200 primers

Rem brass

.704 pattern

2797 FPS

I was running out of time to try and improve on these as antelope season drew near. I didn't kill any goats but, two shots....two dead deer at 187 & 235 yards. All recipes were dialed in 2 inches high at 100 yards.

A 7mm08 is the ballistic twin of the 7x57 Mauser and is essentially a 270 Win on a short action. It will reach the same velocities as a 270 with a 10 gr lighter bullet. Works very well with barrels down to 20" and that length is incredibly handy in the brush or shooting out of a blind.

I know I probably said this before somewhere on here but, I say it again. I tossed around the idea of a new caliber for 2 years before I went with the 7mm-08. I did alot of research on the ballistics. I've got .243, .270 and an 06 so that just about covers everything up to belted carts. It was over 25 years since I got a new and just felt the urge. I was flippin a coin between the 08 and .308. I settled on my choice because of bullet weight selection (110 to 175) and exterior ballistics. I will say this; factory ammo is spendy. But, I reload and spend more hours at the range then most people spend in the woods during the season. There are proponents of this caliber who claim it is suitable elk with the correct weight bullet. I can not attest to thoe testimonials. I'd recommend it even as a youth caliber.

Thanks guys and Paul I have the same cailbers as you and have owned a few others that I wish I still had like the 6mm,257 roberts and a 25-06.

I have a .308 and love it and I think that I will dig more into 7-08 as Joeys gun but he kinda likes the .308 also.

I thinking that the .308 would be the most sensable cause that way not all the differnt ammo to worry about but thats never been a issue with me never enough guns I guess

I used my fathers old 30.06 for about 20 or so years.

In the last few years I've acquired a couple .270 and a .243.

I thought I would be set for a long time until I kept drifting back to this thread, now I'm looking for just the right 7MM-08.

DARN YOU GUYS!!!!!

It's all good!

Red cabin...LOL...I got a kick of that "Darn you guys". I'll say this about chosing a caliber just for conversation sake. Lot of people ask about calibers, and that a good thing but, In my estimation after getting testsmonials a guy should really read , read, and read more. Ken Waters Pet Loads is a fantasic collection of caliber performances. Not only does reading give a guy info on calibers but it gives alittle better insight on ballistics. This way a guy learns how & why a bullet performs the way they do. It's kinda like saying a person knows how to drive a vehicle but, do they know why it moves when ya press on the foot-fed? I'm not saying that it's wrong for a guy to try and buy the license the night before opener or scour the stores the night before looking for ammo and then take a 50 yard shot at a empty beer can ( note: empty) half way thru the opening morning just to make sure his gun "is on". I'm probably more obsessive when it comes perfecting the art of marksmanship.

Had an M7 in 7/08 some years back that was a real nice rifle. After bedding and some trigger work it was a 3/4 to MOA rifle and that is plenty good enough. Was using a stout load of WW748, WLR primers and a 139 Hornady BTSP.

Had one large deer in a Buffalo county field that was some 300yds away that I ended up passing on due to the 15+mph crosswind, even though I had all of the time in the world and a solid rest to shoot from. Just did not want to take a chance and figured that I could get closer the next day. The deer dressed at 185# after I took it at 75 yds the next afternoon. That 139 Hornady left a golfball sized exit hole on a dead broadside ribcage hit. The deer took 3 or 4 bounds before piling up. Have plenty of long-range shooting titles, but won't take chances shooting animals in a strong wind at distance...far better to get closer.

Shot one other 120# deer with that rifle at about 40 yds and had similar bullet performance. Golfball exit hole and short recovery distance. Nice little cartridge and very capable. Easy to load for to get fine hunting accuracy levels.