• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowblower Won't Start

deerminator

A new craftsman I bought last fall. The tech at Sears is telling me its most likely because I didnt run all the gas out even though I had stabil in the tank too. I've done everything according to the manual, key in, choke wide open, throttle wide open, and primed the heck out of it (not flooded though). The electric starter cranks fine but it won't turn over. My father in law (also a mechanic) is going to stop by tomorrow and suggests if I want to try something else in the meantime, to pull the sparkplug, pour a tiny amount of gas down the hole, replace the plug and try firing it again. Any other thoughts or experiences? Or posts to point me toward?

One thing to check for is if you closed off the petcock last year, to make sure you opened it back up. My neighbor was pulling and pulling on her snowblower earlier this fall and couldn't get it to run. I found the petcock was shut off. Fired right up when it was turned on. (Though I will admit, I have forgotten that one once too)

Try the fuel trick...sometime that is just enough to prime the thing and get it going. Also, if it pops off, you know it is a fuel issue.

Good tip, turn the fuel on. smile

When you pull the plug check to set if it is wet or dry.

Check for spark while your at it.

No spark look to see if you have some safety switch tripped.

I can't say what that would be on your thrower but look for something like starting in gear or auger engaged.

If its dry go ahead and prime it through the plug hole. If it starts you might need to keep it running by turning the choke on and off when the engine starts to die.

In cold starts you should choke it although depending on what type primer you have, using one of the other is recommended. Some primers just move gas through the carb in which case you can't flood it and some actually dump gas into the throat of the carb.

Thanks guys. The FIL made it over today while I was at work. He's semi-retired and tinkered with it for a few hours. It was a combination of priming the heck out of it and removing the plug and pouring gas down many times before he got it going. He also noticed it runs quite a bit better when set halfway between the choke and run setting. So there's a bonus piece of knowledge for me. He ran it and blew some snow for about an hour. I will for sure have to buy him some Shakers on the way home tonight (if you know what that is). And if you don't, you need to find out if you like to have a drink now and then. I have no idea what it would cost to have a blower serviced but I'm imagining its not too cheap.

He also noticed it runs quite a bit better when set halfway between the choke and run setting. So there's a bonus piece of knowledge for me.

Her is another bonus piece of info. If it needs to be on half choke, then the main jet is still partially plugged. Its an easy fix. Take out this piece (it holds the bowl on) and make sure to clean out the very tiny hole in the side right at the base of the threads. It will start easier, run better and be less likely to foul the spark plug. You'll be glad you did.

full-8254-3904-dsc03604.jpg

Mac is right. When it gets colder out it'll be real hard to start.

When you look at the carb you'll see the bowl on the bottom. Pull off the bowl and you'll have that part in your hand. Careful not to knock the float. When you put it back together the o ring might be on the carb or it might be on the bowl just make sure its make its in place.