Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
rocky

Backyard Ice Rinks

I am looking to make an ice rink in my yard and was looking for some tips from those who have done it. My biggest question is is it necessary to put any kind of a plastic liner down or can I just run the water over frozen ground.If plastic is needed, I assuming it would have to be one big piece. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I had ZERO success with just making a snow/ice berm and trying to flood inside with a hose. The water made it through the berm. I'd be interested in hearing what temperature it works best at. The time I tried it, it was VERY cold out and I had trouble with the water freezing right in the hose and the spigot freezing. I suspect it would be easiest if you can get access to a 1.5" or greater hose to make the water flow and even out faster.

If you do line the bottom, I would not use a black liner if you can help it. One local rink in our area has a black liner and toward the late season there are melting problems.

I didn't know this before this post, but depending on how serious you are, there's an industry around this. You can google "backyard rinks" and find some stuff.

I don't have any experience with this myself but I would think a liner might be the way to go to help prevent the problem mixxed had. You can get those jumbo tarps for fairly cheap. I also think you would have to go through 5-10 or more floods to build up a good base and level out the area before you have to worry about doing it perfect.

I would bet a quick Google search will have all kinds of info.

Don't use a dark colored plastic because the sun will heat it up and cause the ice to crack. At least that was what I was told from a friend who did this.

I just saw this topic...I think there is plenty more winter left, so plenty of time to get the rink going. I've had a rink in the back yard for the last couple years, it's always an adventure setting it up!

I use clear poly (6 mil?) but it is difficult to find poly in widths greater than 20 feet. So the rink measures +/- 45' x +/- 18'. Thanksgiving is generally my drop dead day to get it up & given the temp range, it takes a while for it to be skate-able.

With all the snow we have had, it should be fairly easy to rig a form, establishing a border to support the liner. I have tried using a snow berm, ice weld (cold fusion!), with very limited success. In my experience, it generally wastes a lot of water.

Good luck...

This is my third year with a backyard rink (45' x 36'). The first year, I combined two 20' liners and experienced a leak along the seam. Last year, I bought a 100' x 40' white 6 mil silage cover from Fleet Farm and cut it in half. My boards are 3/4" plywood ripped to 12" widths and framed with 1x3 boards. The boards are supported by 1x3 stakes placed every 4'.

For water supply, I replaced the closest water spigot with a frost-free spigot that has the shut-off about a foot into the house.

Google 'homeboni' to get an idea for resurfacing. I have made one and it makes perfect ice! Currently, my thickest corner has about 10 inches and the shallow end has about 6 inches of ice.

I did my initial flood 11/26 and we have been skating the whole month of December. PM me if you have any specific questions.

One of the dad's of the players on my team is on his 3rd year with a back yard rink. He told me the liner is a necessity.