• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do they eat???

Looking for information on what deer eat this time of year. I know they stay close to the food, but i hunt around big cedar swamps. Do they just lay in them and eat the cedar buds, or do the vwenture out and look for sapplings, and any acorns that may have dropped ( it was a bad year for Acorns)??? Loking for a little advice from people on what they do when you don't have farm fields and drawing power. Besides tracking deer, what can I do. Got a couple newbies coming, and i want them to see a deer or two.

Yeah i bet alfalfa is good, but there are no fields close at all... Just big timber and cedar swamps. Some rdiges with oaks and hardwoods, but mostly lowlands... Just trying to do some recon because i can't scout on my own due to work and distance.

The deer will bed and eat in the cedars and also feed on various buds just about anywhere this time of year. They aren't in their winter ranges up north yet so you still might have some luck, or maybe catch that 2nd rut if you can find some does.

My best advice would be to scouting the first morning you get up there, see if you can find some fresh sign and setup on it right away. Might be your best chance.

In the big woods that I hunt, with no ag around, I've noticed that those low lying area's edges are deer browsing areas. Usually they consist of dogwoods, alders and the such. These are thick, dense areas with lots of twigs and branches within the deer's reach. The low lying areas I'm talking about are generally cattail swamps, but may just be very wet grassy areas. Usually it's best to try and find an 'end' of the low lying area so that you can cover as much edge as possible.

Not sure if I described it very well, best I could do.

If your area has any recent logging or they are logging it right now I'd go there. They love the tops that are piled up on the ground. I will actually hunt a cutting when they are out there logging. That equipment is a diiner bell to them and doesn't seem to bother them.

If your area has any recent logging or they are logging it right now I'd go there. They love the tops that are piled up on the ground. I will actually hunt a cutting when they are out there logging. That equipment is a diiner bell to them and doesn't seem to bother them.

I was just going to bring this up. I know a couple of loggers and they say the deer sometimes follow them from job to job if they are working close by. Like you said, dinner bell.

With all this new snow it will be pretty easy to loop a fresh or current cutting and find out where the deer are bedding. If you are just after meat setup in between or at the cutting. However if you want to score a nice buck setup as close to the bedding area as possible.

Great picture that second one Harmonica. My plan is set... WALK, WALK, and more WALKING. Look for sign and any sort of browse. then set up around that with my buddy who has waited 7 years with no deer sightings... Hopefully production happens.